Washing Machine Broken - Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new washing machine recently and I installed it by connecting the pipes at the back to the water supply as per usual.

When it has been washing it is extremely noisy and it has bounced right out of it's slot every time it's been used (3/4 times). I have now rang Tesco Direct up and they have just sent an electrician out to look at it and they said it was my fault as I never adjusted the feet at the bottom. I have installed 2 previous machines and never had to do this. Admittedly, I didn't read the manual as I didn't think I needed to for what is a relatively simple task.

Now they will only take the machine back if we either get an extended warranty or pay £42 for the repair. It is still within 28 days. My wife wants shot of the machine.

Does anyone know what would be my rights on this?

Sponsored Links
Hi. I've never had a washing machine that didn't have some form of restraint on it to stop the tub banging around in transit. My current Bosch had 4 bolts going through the back of the casing that had to be removed before using it. Other machines have had polystyrene blocks, metal brackets or anything else that will stop the machine damaging itself when travelling. Only the instructions can tell you what and where the restraints are. If the restraint is left on the machine will cheerfully kangaroo around the kitchen (I've seen it happen - it's spectacular).
If there was some form of restraint and you didn't remove it before use then the liability is yours for any damage (unless the supplier installed it for you).
What exactly is the nature of this 42 pounds worth of damage? Could it just be a try-on by the supplier?

Machine being damaged because of incorrect installation by the owner would invalidate a warrenty, if the company you brought it off installed it then they are responsible

The machines have to be leveled before use, was it leveling or restraints left on/in place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back