Washing machine door won't open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! My Hotpoint Aquarius has finished a 40 cycle and the door won't open. I can't see any water inside. I have taken the waste water pipe out and put it flat on the floor nothing came out! I have also tried starting it again on various programes but nothing happens. HELP!!! :cry:

OK now I have tried removing the panel on the bottom of the back. A little bit of water came out of the waste hose. I tried to set the machine to spin and hey presto :D the spin started and finished but... the door still won't open. :confused: I wouldn't normally be so worried but the washing inside is a sleeping bag belonging to my daughters best mate (our puppy wet on the sleeping bag last night - I don't normally take in extra washing!!) And she is due to be picked up at any time. Help please. :oops:

Sponsored Links
These machines often have a device called a pecker, attached to the motor, with a mechanical cable joining it to the door switch. This is a safety device to prevent the door from being opened when the drum is rotating. This pecker has a spring loaded plastic knife edge which pushes onto the belt or motor spindle when the door handle is operated. It may have fell off the motor and be lying in the bottom of the machine. Unplug the machine, remove the lid and look for such a device. If you keep the cable tensioned by hand the door handle should now work.

Excellent, you hit the nail right on the head! The cable was on the floor, and has now been re-attached to the motor. Sleeping bag has been returned and washing routine is back to normal! Thank you so much for your help :)

If the pecker fell off likely to re-occur (metal part of pecker sometimes bends).Wise to replace pecker only few pounds to buy

Sponsored Links
i used to bolt them on, some relied on a clip, these did give up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back