washing machine not filling or spinning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I worked the washing machine yesterday with no problems, today I put a load in and switched it on but noticed it wasnt filling up with water, I took the lid off, switched it on again and all it done was made a "wurring" kind of sound, like a motor trying to work? this came from the bottom of the machine.

I have checked the filter at the bottom in the little door and that if fine.

I cheched the filter in the hose inlet and thats fine.

its a Zanussi Expression 1200 6kg.

I checked the spin cycle and that wasnt working either.

any ideas before the wife makes me spend too much money?

regards
Nifty

Sponsored Links
Post the PNC number on the door sticker.

Hi,
The numbers are as follows:

Mod: ZWF 1207OW
TYPE: H1942661
PROD No: 914521426¦00
SERIAL No: 75000179

These are the only numbers I could find inside the door.

Nifty

Sponsored Links
Hi Zipper

The water is switched on and no kinks in the pipes , I checked the big belt which is around the drum and that is ok and turns. (by hand)

The noise reminds me of a motor trying to turn but wont?

Regards
Nifty

I am sure I have found where the noise is coming from for definite now

I opened the back up and switched it on, and got the noise from the filer at the bottom of the machine,I have took a photo of it, but you will probably know the name of it without seeing it.

//www.diynot.com/network/nifty/albums/

this looks easy enough to replace, but is this a common problem? the machine is only 3 years old :(

That's the drain pump. Every time you start a cycle the pump should run for a short while. Fill 3 - 4 liters of water in the drum manually & start a cycle to see if it pumps the water out. If it does take the motor off & check there is enough length on the brushes. If it doesn't drain the water check for a blocked/defective pump.

Hi Zipper

I have just put 4 litres of water in the machine then switched it on and the water pumped out the hose as it should...I havent taken the motor off but I can see the bushs.

Im not sure how much should be on them to start with but they do look ok, actually ill attach a pic. (added 2 pics)

regards
Nifty.

after I uploaded the pictures it looked like 1 of the brushes was worn out, so I took it off and took another pic :)

Take both brushes out, check the length & condition of the brush faces. You should have minimum 2cm long & the brush faces should be polished (not matt or showing signs of obvious arcing). Change them out if they are too short.

Thank you for replying Zipper,

I have checked the brushes and there is about 30mm on each one.

The contact points look ok, shiney and no signs of arching.

I think its time for me to dig deep :(

Thanks again

Nifty

The commutator (where the brushes touch) doesn't look very healthy & it looks like there has been some arcing at the trailing edge of one brush. Is everything free to turn? You may have a motor fault at the end of the day. Check the last alarm in the Eeprom by doing this: Turn the machine off at the program selector. Press & hold sown the start/pause button the button immediately to its left. While keeping them pressed turn the program selector 1 position clockwise. Release the buttons when they start to flash (after 2 - 3 seconds). Turn the program selector clockwise to position 10. Post the code in the display (if it has one). If your model has no display post the repeating series of red & green lights on the start button LED.

The led button is flashing red then green as I dont have a led screen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back