washing machine wont start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Washing machine starts ok then the dial keeps revolving and wont stop…heeeelp!!!!

Sponsored Links
The make of appliance would help!!!

However the timer spinning continuously is an abort code on some, such as an indesit. Switch off check the obvious, water, door locks, pump etc etc....try telling us the make and model.

AF

Indesit WD12 washer/dryer. I think a wire must be loose becuase it started on rinse but when I put to 50 degree wash it seems to have started and still is as I write but not much water is in the machine as usual

Your Indesit is aborting the programme.

Read your instruction book and carry out the reset proceedure for the electronics. If that does not cure it, there's little you can do.
The fault could lie with any of the components within the appliance, that means having an engineer take a look.

AF

Sponsored Links
Count the flashes between pauses as the timer rotates, the number of flashes corresponds to a fault code which should give some idea to the area where the fault lies. The codes aren't always correct though.
The usual to check on these are the filter, pump, heater and connections to motor and module.
They're a nightmare machine to be honest, good luck in finding the fault.

Remember to unplug before working on any appliance.

Instruction book? Hmmmm..now where did I put it! :oops:
Me thinks I got it sorted though. I took the top and front panel off and could see a black box on the other side of the dial. Attached to the bottom side is a circuit board. I push that in tightly and machine started working ok.
I’m wondering if there’s a loose connection between the circuit board and black box.
Thanks for your help though.

Flaming heck!
Still aint working properly. The light flashes eight times. The machine seems to have a mind of its own because after several false starts it works

Eight flashes indicates a heating problem. Either a relay on the module, the wiring, thermistor/thermostats or the heater. Unplug the machine and check the connections at the heater, they make visibly look ok, give the wires a good tug, they have a habit of breaking internally. Megger the heater and check it for leakage to earth as well as for continuity. Follow the wiring back to the module and pull the plug off, check for burnt connectors, plug it back on. If still getting eight flashes it's likely to be a module problem.

Remember unplug any appliance before working on it.

Thanks for your help tiredengineer.Where's the heater and thermostat located?
One point to mention here though is that when the wash has finished, the drying cycle works ok so could it still be a heating problem?

The dryer heater is on top of the machine, the water heater is at the bottom. Access panel is on the rear.
If you don't have access to a megger you won't be able to fully test the heater element or any of the other components.

Remember to unplug the machine before working on it

Thanks for your help tiredengineer. It's a real tempremental b****** because after fiddling around with the black box behind the dial several times it worked again. But now I can see a minor leak coming from the bottom right so I've had enough and calling the engineer in on 22nd Dec.
Thanks once again, and one last thing. Could you recommend a washer/dryer as I'm gonna kick this machine into touch next year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back