Wasps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got up at 4.30 this morning. I ran the bath, whilst I was getting rid of the the food from the day before...

I then noticed that one, and then two, wasps managed to fly through the active extractor fan.

I suspect that they have a nest in the gap between the old air brick and the fan. This did happen about 5 years ago. We had a pest control guy that turned up and used the white powder to kill them.

Anywho, they are back.

On reflection, I should have put a mesh over the old air brick.

I am toying with the idea of disconnecting the power supply to the fan and squirting in a load of spray wasp killer, and then taping up the extractor.

It is a sunday, I have picked up two different aerosol tins.

I wanna get up about the same time and not have worry about wasps.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I got up at 4.30 this morning. I ran the bath, whilst I was getting rid of the the food from the day before...

I then noticed that one, and then two, wasps managed to fly through the active extractor fan.

I suspect that they have a nest in the gap between the old air brick and the fan. This did happen about 5 years ago. We had a pest control guy that turned up and used the white powder to kill them.

Anywho, they are back.

On reflection, I should have put a mesh over the old air brick.

I am toying with the idea of disconnecting the power supply to the fan and squirting in a load of spray wasp killer, and then taping up the extractor.

It is a sunday, I have picked up two different aerosol tins.

I wanna get up about the same time and not have worry about wasps.

Cheers
I was up that time too. A nice walk down the river in the dark with the dogs

Sponsored Links
You can certainly disconnect the power, spray wasp killer and then blank off the internal housing with tape for a few hours. Leave the outside vent clear during this time to allow any wasps in the area to escape. After a few hours take the tape off and shove the nozzle of a vacuum into any gaps to suck up any dead/dying wasps. Once you know it is all clear, you can then fit some mesh over the airbrick. Make sure all edges are securely fixed down with no gaps for them, (or anything else), to crawl through.

The best time to spray is after dusk as all the wasps are back home at that time and you will get maximum effect. Daytime spraying will get most but you will be bothered by stragglers trying to fathom out who nuked them.... and they will be angry.

We had wasps in the garden this year. Initially we left them to it - wasps are good for many things and are good pollinators - but we have daughters dog a couple of times a week and she started to get interested in them. Rather than a drama between dog and wasps, I decided to get rid. Looked up effective humane methods and near the top was white vinegar. They hate it apparently. So I filled a hand sprayer with half and half water/vinegar and left it spraying near the hole. A bit of a wasp kerfuffle for an hour but they went and haven't returned.

Got in, isolated the fan, sprayed through it. Got the ladder out and sprayed from the other direction.

Strangely, no sign of any wasps. That said, as @DAZB says, dusk would be when they are all home. I was asleep long before dusk.

I will give it a couple of days and remove the fan and see what is there.

At the moment the only mesh I have is mouse proof, not small enough for wasps. I need to order some on ebay/etc. And, as per @conny 's advice, I will fit the mesh on the inside of the cast iron air brick.

Thanks to all for the advice.

they were on about wasps on the radio the other day

A Wasp is a carniverous Bee

honey bees are vegetarian bees

all the same mob apparently

Sponsored Links
Back