Wasps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My next door neighbours have just been round to let me know that there's wasps going in and out of the joints between the sections of stone gutters on the front of my house.
Questions:
1. Can the wasps get into the loft from there?
2. Is there a space or cavity in or around stone gutters where wasps could build a nest?
3. Can I get the council round to shift em and if so, do they charge.
4. If I just leave em alone, will they come back next year?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
1) probably

2) must be some reason they are there

3) ask the council

4) probably and likely

Thanks Breezer, regarding question 2, I was wondering whether the nest would be in the gutter or whether they were just using the joints in the guttering as access to the loft.
Looks like I'll be on the phone to the council tomorrow. :(

are you frightend of wasps then?

i do know they actualy eat wood (honest)

I had a nest once, i did the following

sprayed nest with stuff*

tied plastic bag round nest and pulled it down. I tied it with a piece of string in such a way that as it got tighter it cut the nest down and it fell into the bag

also a neighbour had a wasps nest in his shed, he sprayed it with stuff* went back next day and took out nest, the stuff killed them stone dead.

The "stuff" is available form your local good vet, yes vet, its a very harmfull to bugs product, but not people, i forgot what its called but it is for killing pet fleas, but you do not spray it on your pet, you spray it on walls etc and it stays active for about 3 months (honest, 3 months) it was about £15 a tin, but it lasts for years, but i have not had any hence i cant remember its name, but one short squirt kills any insect or flea

Sponsored Links
Nest is most probably in the loft. As Breezer says, how scared are you of wasps? You could investigate the loft, but that's totally your call. Not difficult to spray the nest, when you find it, but you'll probably get stung about forty-fifty times...still worth saving the council's charge and you can come back to a diy forum and say you sorted it out yourself :D

Just kidding about the stinging part ;)

Am I frightened of wasps?

Well not like running down the street screaming frightened, but on the other hand I'd prefer that they stayed away from me.

They're supposed to eat greenfly but i've never seen one chewing on one - all they seem to do is bug people (pun intended).

I'd rather not have them in the loft either - the loft hatch is right outside my 2 year old daughter's bedroom.

It'd be very difficult to get to the nest if it's right at the edge of the loft.

I might have a quick look in a minute (when I've mustered up the courage).
Watch this space.

just a lil fyi concerning wasps and bees.....they are less active in the early morning or near dusk when it less light out or when it is cold.....still be careful. ;)

In a few weeks time most of the wasps will be dead apart from the queen.
All you need to do then is go in the roof void, locate the nest, and dispose of it.
Incidentally before you get rid of the nest check it out because they are one of the most intricate things I have ever seen.
They can vary in size from 50mm to 1 metre in diameter .
If you leave it till next year they are guaranteed to return and in greater numbers.

I was under the impression that wasps don't reuse a nest and build a new one each year.

Quite right , apart from hornets, which are a type of wasp.
But what I was trying to say was that they invariably return to the same place the following year and usually in greater numbers.

Oh ok. So there's no harm in leaving the nest then?
I'll probably get the ladders out in a few weeks (when they're dead) and seal up the joints in the gutters.

Regarding question 3, councils dropped this service a few years ago. They will either send a contractor round and charge you accordingly or just point you in the direction of various companies. I had a quote this year which was £ 75.00+VAT. :eek:

I brought some power from our local hardware shop (the same as the contractors use) and sprayed it all around the hole where they were going in.

Within a few days there were no more wasps. If they're still active you could try it now which would make sure the queen is dead before next year.

We had the bug man out a couple of years ago. The wasps were going up through a gap in the soffits. He said he thought the house was a bungalow, so didnt bring his long ladders. He ended up leaning out of the window with his net on. It was a sight! He used a long tube which appeared to blow white powder into the soffit. He did look in the loft, said he could see a dormant nest, but not the active one. I sleep right under where they were getting in, and i could hear them at night, sounded like someone scratching the back of the ceiling.

Had the gutters done after that!

He also saw to a MASSIVE ants nest that was taking over the new conservatory. There were literally ants coming out of the door frames and out through the grout in the floor. He did a perimiter treatment with the same white powder, and we haven't seen the ants since either. Think he charged £40. Work was guaranteed too.

One day that year, I remember walking down the road, and the air was thick with flying ants! It got really bad round here. Never known anything like it. Nearly every driveway had a nest under it!

Sponsored Links
Back