Water collecting during lots of rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

During periods of rain, I know we've had a lot in the last few days, but this problem I have seems to happen even during shorter periods of rain.

Wondering if there is anything I can do myself to fix it?

I live on an unmaintained road, so the residents of the road fill potholes, trim back hedges etc, which is all fine. But this problem is right in front of my house, and only really affects me and the property next to me. So the general consensus is "look after the portion of road outside your property", which is fair enough.

p2.jpg p1.jpg

There are no storm drains on this unmaintained road, which is mostly dirt/gravel. There must be some waste pipes underground but connecting to those may be outside of my expertise, hence on this forum.

Are there any tips/tricks to avoid this happening? It's really not a big enough of a problem to have to call an expert in, as it dissipates after ~48 hours.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
It looks like tarmac or similar, you would have to build a crown into the road so that it drains off into the edges. Or drill some holes but they'll likely just get clogged up and that's a bit of a bodge.

Are there any tips/tricks to avoid this happening? It's really not a big enough of a problem to have to call an expert in, as it dissipates after ~48 hours.

All you can do, is give the water somewhere else to collect, where it causes less of an issue.

All you can do, is give the water somewhere else to collect, where it causes less of an issue.
Thanks, although not really possible to divert it anywhere else as it would just be the same problem.

Like I said not an issue other than a big puddle, so will just leave it as it is for now unless it gets significantly worse.

Sponsored Links
No and there are no drains alongside many a country lane but they do have a crown. You can see the remnants of a crown in your first pic, it's probably just sunk over time.

No and there are no drains alongside many a country lane but they do have a crown. You can see the remnants of a crown in your first pic, it's probably just sunk over time.
Great spot - thanks very much. We have some scalpings to top up potholes, so I'll have a go at crowning the road.

Not sure scalpings will work, I would expect they'll gradually just get pushed out by the cars, it needs properly regrading with a built up road really but I suspect you might think that's cost prohibitive.

Since you can still get past on foot, I would say just live with it.

You could fill in the hole with a tonne or 2 of stone, the water will go somewhere else, which may be better, may be worse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back