Water dripping from over flow pipe in loft...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have Water dripping from over flow pipe in loft.
Whenever I wake in the morning, I notice that there has been water dripping from the overflow, all night, when I run a bath the water stops leaking out. I think it takes until the middle of the night to start all over again.
Could a novice (me) repair this.....also...it has just started to get frosty...could the frost work it's way up to the pipe and into the tank?

Also...noticed that it takes a little longer to get the hot water through to the taps than normal, this could be something elso though?!

Please help someone that knows nothing about water apart from drinking it!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
First try bending the metal arm down very gently with 2 hands so as not to damage float valve to lower water level to 25 mm below overflow pipe.
Run some water off with the float valve tied up so cutting supply and check water level.
Trial and error until you get it right.
If not a quick fix replace the float valve, only $3 :)

In your loft tank there is a ball valve. The ball sits on the surface of the water and as the water level falls (due to you running a tap) it allows the mains water into the tank. Once the tank re-fills to the right level the ball valve should rise and shut off the flow. Over time the washer in the valve can begin to "go" and will allow a trickle of water into the tank even when the ball valve is forced shut. This in turn fills the tank up and eventually you see the result as a drip from your overflow pipe.

If this gets iced up (as it will) it could cause the overflow to block and then the tank will simply fill up and over flow into your loft, through your ceiling etc, etc.

So it's a good idea to get it fixed.

You can buy ball valve repair kits that give you a number of replacement parts but basically what's probably gone is the circular rubber washer that the float arm pushes against to stop the water flow.

If you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, go up into the loft and have a look. You should see (and maybe hear) the valve dripping into the tank.

If you want to take it apart, turn the water off and dismantle the valve. It's not difficult.

Having had a look, go down to your local plumbers merchants and either buy a new bit or, as many have advised in this forum simply replace the whole mechanism.

If you go down the replacement route, make sure you set the new ball valve so that it shuts off about 2" below the overflow pipe.

I have bent the arm slightly (well actually more than slightly) but the problem is still persisting, I think I will have to buy a new wotsit.

Can I buy decent parts from B&Q or should I go to my local Plumb Centre?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That's a part 1 valve, suitable for a header tank. What you want is a new part II valve & float (go one, treat yourself).

Put your scruffiest pair of jeans on, go into any plumbers merchants and say "part II valve and an effing float mate" this will impress them so much that they will think you are trade and might save you a couple of quid :D

P.S. Don't forget the effing this is a little known secret that almost always works but in the unlikely event that it doesn't and they charge you a fiver, look the assistant straight in the eye, whilst scratching your ar$e and say "nah, trade mate"

Sorry, I really need an answer to this one quickly.....I am popping into town very soon.....Pleeeeeaaaaaassse!

Thanks

Artful Bodger was quite right. Go into your local Pumber's merchants and tell them what the problem is and they'll give you the right bits. Honest! (I wouldn't worry about the dressing down bit though or the use of plumbing speak).

OK, in the end I went to (B & Q .....said in a quiet voice) (it was easier to get there than the plumb centre in my lunch hour) and I think I have the right part, (looks very similar to the one that is on my current tank).

I am now wondering how the main water pipe connects to it????? I am sure it will come clear when I am in the loft later!!!!!

ALSO: Above the tank that I will be working on is another pipe overhanging....does anyone know what this could be? Is it normal?

Thanks again chaps.

Above the tank that I will be working on is another pipe overhanging
That's an expansion pipe from your hot water system. That shouldn't be dripping either.

I am now wondering how the main water pipe connects to it?????

Turn the water off.

Undo the nut on the incoming pipe and then the nut holding the old valve assembly onto the tank. Pull the old assembly off and then replace it with the new one. I'll bet it's not as simple as that though! Have a good look before you take the old one off to make sure that the one you are replacing is the same size.

If you read the info on one of your B&Q postings you'll see that they recommend either some PTFE tape or jointing paste to ensure a good seal. Personally I'd use the tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back