water dripping in toilet tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this is the right category.
I've water dripping in continuously from the valve (?) The bit that fills the tank after flushing. As a result water is going in the overflow.
When I raise the float ball, it stops.
There is a fair amount of scale in the tank and parts.
I adjusted a nut on the handle to its limit but hasn't helped. The ball valve handle is plastic.
What can I do?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
How hard are you pulling up the arm to make it stop?

Also unscrew the float ball and check its not got water in it.

You could strip the valve down and clean but I personally would just replace the valve for what it costs.

You can buy a rubber washer from BnQ (if you can find someone on their plumbing department, as them which one. get them to show you how to swap it too). its pretty easy to change - I bet the one you have is gunked up with scale or is perished. Literally a 2 minute fix once you know how.

In fact, its been described on here many times.

Sponsored Links
For any repair would I have to drain the tank? If so do I just stop water by turning off the stop valve?

Then you need a new valve, or repair the old valve.

Sometimes the repair doesn't work, so I mostly always just replace.

Also I believe that the tank is many yrs old.i don't know whether that makes any difference to the mechanism that's there. Bn on u tube n can't see system like mine. Can't ask my husband when he replaced bits in it as Unfortunately he has recently developed dementia. He was a wizard with diy n I never had to worry in the past.
But I've learned a lot from him and like to have a go. With help from Good people like you.
Thank you.

Thank you. I'll try n replace it. Will let u know how I get along.

Sorry another problem. I turned off the stop valve supplying water to toilet tank. Flushed the toilet But a very small flow continues to flow. I hv turned off another app Valve which I know it's for the outside garden pipe.
What could b wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back