water dripping in toilet tank

Are you able to take a picture of the inside of the cistern and post it on here? Much easier to explain what you'll need to do then

Sponsored Links
If the stalk that hold the ball is made of plastic, rather than brass, there's often a horizontal screw which when turned, adjusts the level of the ball.....
Mind you, a worn washer, (if replaced) is likely to have the same effect.
In the good old days (!) if the stalk was brass, it was bent over the knee as a way of adjustment!
John :)

Went to B&Q. Can't buy valve on its own. So bought a whole system. I'm going to give it a go.
Thank you all for yr help.

Sponsored Links
I've fixed strange drips like this by just adjusting the screw in the arm of the ball (or however your system works) so that it closes the valve a bit sooner. If the ball is set so that it doesn't close the valve until floated up to a point at or slightly above the overflow pipe then I guess it will keep filling endlessly...

Sorry. I didn't see the latest posts as they were on page 2.i have got pictures for you to see. I welcome any help to see what I have to do to fix it.

Water in the tank is bottom feed. The man in BQ was asking whether the water came from the mains or the tank in the house. I have no idea. He was talking of high n low water pressure system.

If you have a combi probably unlikely that its fed from a tank.
But you never know.
Do you have any tanks in the loft?

Yes. There is a tank in the loft.loft is on 3Rd storey of Edwardian house. This toilet is on the ground floor. It's not a combo type. Pl see picure.

If you can turn that white screw anticlockwise a bit, the water fill will close off a bit sooner.....
Best to turn the water off and flush the loo first!
John :)

Turned the white screw and the drip stopped eventually. However, the water initially filled up fast and then a small trickle lasting a very long time culminating in drip for ages before eventually stopping. Something like 30 min.

Turned the white screw and the drip stopped eventually. However, the water initially filled up fast and then a small trickle lasting a very long time culminating in drip for ages before eventually stopping. Something like 30 min.

Sounds about right, may need replacing at some point.

Thank you all for help. Drip stopped by adjusting the white screw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back