Water dripping onto my boiler flue from above flat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( My flat is on the ground floor and twice recently my boiler has failed to light, and when the engineer inspected same he found that water seemed to have come back from the outside flue.
I discovered that this was caused by the boiler flue of a flat two floors above had been overflowing and dripping onto my flue cover, thereby entering my boiler and causing the problem.
Is it possible to buy some kind of "Deflector" that I could fix to the wall above my own boiler flue, in order to negate the problem in future.

Sponsored Links
You won't find a specific device for this, however, there is nothing stoping you making your own metal plate or whatever you decide.

I would say to you that you should consult an RGI. There are minimum flue termination distances from various areas, these MUST be observed for your safety. If you just installed a plate above a flue and didn't observe these distances you could impede the safe operation of the flue.

I'm guessing your boiler is older as a condensing boiler ususally has no issue with water landing on the flue? Condensing boiler flues are installed with an uphill gradient allowing condensate to flow back to the boiler.

A non condensing boiler requires the flue to be installed with the opposite so any rain etc landing in the flue would not run back into the boiler (older boiler components don't expect to get wet!). The angle is very slight, but I'm assuming your engineer checked this?

Carl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back