Water on Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was lying in Bed as most people do the other day and i looked above my telly and there was a feel lins of water running down the wall, ( I Think Condensation) it rubbed of with my hand, and has not run down too far. There is a shiny patch where the ceiling meets the wall i think to be a slight build up. since then it has appered on one more occasion. This is the first time this has happened in the 2 years we have lived in the house. The wall in question is an outside wall, but no other area in the house is this happening. Am i right in thinking its condensation, or could there be an issue with my roof? all roof tiles look intact.

Any Ideas?

p.s. all my guttering is clear and i have UPVC boards arround the eaves. so sure its not rotten.

Sponsored Links
Had a look, very usefull thanks.

I have noticed over the weekend, that in line with wheer i have seen the water on the wall, there is some cement missing from the eaves on ther ridge of the roof. Could water be getting in there then running down the roof lining to this wall and then soaking in? or a i barking up the wrong tree. If it is i will need to get a builder in to fill the gap on the ridge.

GavinC said:
i have seen the water on the wall, there is some cement missing from the eaves on ther ridge of the roof. Could water be getting in there then running down the roof lining to this wall and then soaking in?
Don't know but it best to cement the missing area anyway to prevent high wind lifting the tiles.

Another theory you could try is move the television in a temporary position or move it away from the wall, I'm guessing the warm moisture is coming from the back of your television which giving you a pocket condensation know as 'trap condensation'

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your comments they have been very usefull.

I do however just want to throuw one more spanner in. Last night i was knocking on the wall and a small area neer the top sounds more hollow that further down the wall, i though this seemed strange, then it him me, The flue for the fire in right where the problem is happening, im persuming the hollower section near the top is where the flue is comming more inward to the house as it sticks oyut f the roof tiles. Could this be my problem? do i need to check the seel around the roof tiles where the flue comes out, could the rain be ceeping in here. Im now convinced its might not be condensation as its only appering in this one place daily no where else in the house, and the telly is not directly above the telly its about a meter to the right.

GavinC said:
Last night i was knocking on the wall and a small area neer the top sounds more hollow that further down the wall,
That could be just blown plaster, I wouldn't worry too much unless is blown all over the wall.
The flue for the fire in right where the problem is happening, im persuming the hollower section near the top is where the flue is comming more inward to the house as it sticks oyut f the roof tiles. Could this be my problem? do i need to check the seel around the roof tiles where the flue comes out, could the rain be ceeping in here.
Could be, the way to find out is to start at the top checking for leak, ridge tiles, broken roof tiles, chimney flashing then gutter & work your way down.

Just to remind you over 400,000 people fallen off ladder and roof last year so please think about safely or better still get a roofer to look at the top for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back