Water Pressure Suddenly Low in Flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm having issues with the water pressure in our flat. Basically I'll turn any tap (in the kitchen and the other three sinks in the flat), my en-suite shower (which isn't electric) and the flat shower (which is electric) on and the water pressure will be fine, then the tap will sputter a bit, then the water pressure goes down. There is still water, but it's not coming out at the pressure we're used to. The electric shower also displays 'low flow' on and off.

Basically I'm wondering whether this is due to a leak/boiler problems/mains leak, etc. My boiler is only 2 years old and work has been done to the plumbing, albeit a year ago and we've had no problems until now.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like an air lock on the main feed pipe from the header aank somewhere at the top of the block of flats - when the taps are off, enough water gets into the pipes to fill them, so when you turn a tap on, this discharges fine until it reaches the "blockage", at which point it is only trickling through again.

Solution - you are going to have to force some water back up the pipework through one of your taps - usually by means of a hosepipe connected to a mains tap. Not sure how easily you can access this in your flat??

Agree with the above posts, it does sound like you have a blockage of some description in the mains system. Chances are it could be at the stop tap. Have there been any works carried out to the water mains recently as this can move some debris and can be caught in the stop tap?

Sponsored Links
I think there was work done to the water mains a couple days ago so that might be it.

So should I get the council in or is this a job for a plumber? My flatmates and I know absolutely nothing about plumbing and it's probably not safe for me to have a go...

Its not really possible for us to guess what the problem is without knowing a lot more about the property.

One reply assumes you are in a tall block supplied with potable water from a roof tank. The others assume its a mains water supply.

Have you checked to see what your neighbours have?

Often the water supplier will come free but they can take a while to come!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back