Water Softener Best Advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been asked to fit a water softener to replace a previously removed unit.
Haven't seen the instal but it's been a while since i fitted any. What do i need to look out for generally. Is there any sizing requirements. It's a standard 3 bed semi.
Any advice appreciated

Regards Steve

Sponsored Links
Just a thought. Could anyone explain the differences between twin and single tank units (apart from the obvious) I was thinking along the lines of efficiency, advantages etc.

Cheers

It takes an hour or more to regenerate the resin. The single tank unit will regenerate overnight when there's usually little demand, so they are regenerated by a timer. A single tank unit could regenerate even if there's been little or no soft water used. If there's been a high demand, the resin will be exhausted and the water supply can become hard until the next regen.

The twin tank/duplex units switch between one tank being on-line and the other (or both), so can regenerate one tank at any time. The regeneration is controlled by a flow meter so they only regenerate when the resin in the on-line tank is exhausted. They use the minimum amount of salt necessary.

So twin-tank jobs cost more, use less salt, and have less pressure drop if both tanks are on-line.

regeneration by meter is the important bit, it makes them regenerate by usage not days expired. Though yes, with a single tank, there is a faint chance that the water might go hard at 2.30 pm when the regeneration is not scheduled until 2.30 a.m. the next night.
I don't really think they are as precise as that, though.

I am on my second softener and got a good big one this time as it has a bigger salt bin and can go longer between being filled up. It holds about two 20kg bags of salt. I use the salt pebbles as they are less likely to spill and easier to clear up if dropped. The salt is extremely corrosive, so I recommend vinyl flooring under and around the softener with surfaces that can easily be wiped clean. with nowhere the salt can get through or behind. They will probably want room to store the spare bags of salt nearby. Lag pipes if in a garage or unheated area.

As for hoses, they are usually supplied with hoses where the elbows are only (I think) 10mm i.d.

You can get hoses with bigger-bore fixings, and I imagine these would improve flow. Annoyingly you have to pay extra for them. Water-softener hoses are similar to washing machines hoses but made of white plastic with stainless fittings (I presume this is food-grade) but the usual 3/4" BSP thread.

Fitting a softener is very similar to fitting a washing machine. You might want to fit new valves if the old ones look a bit ropey or have narrow, constricting waterways. The valves will not be turned for years on end, so use good ones and back them off half a turn from fully open to reduce risk of seizing.

Fit it at a height where you can easily tip in a heavyish sack of salt.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I think i'll put the pros and cons as explained and let them decide although the main occupier is quite elderly so a bigger unit would, i feel, be in their interest as far as replenishment of salt goes

Regards.

elderly person might find block salt easierc to handle. It is a lump about the size and shape of a loaf of bread, so no need to lift a sack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back