Water Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bungalow which is currently being done up. There is a water tank in the loft which I would prefer not to be if possible? An Economy 7 water cylinder will supply hot water based on ground floor. Heating the bungalow will be storage heaters. What advantage is there to keeping a water tank in loft? (a bad exp. with a tank leaking through ceiling in past has made me cautious). Which shower can I install? Any advice? K

Sponsored Links
if you keep your tank in loft

better hot water pressure
better choice of shower ie power shower, mixer-pump, digital pumped shower.

Thx seco services
Why would my hot water pressure be any different? It's the cold water tank in the loft and the water cylinder (which I presume heats the water) is on ground floor? I don't understand what the advantage is in a bungalow with no central heating water system? Sorry for not understanding this yet!!! :confused: K

Karen, your water pressure on your HOT side is created by the difference in height between any outlets (hot taps, top of copper heating cylinder) and the bottom of your cold water storage tank. Therefore the higher the tank (CWS) the greater the pressure.

Ergo, if you wish to run a gravity fed shower you will generate more pressure. Not eough i think to be not want to consider pumping you hot water electrically to a shower.....or install an electric shower which uses mains pressure cold.

Sponsored Links
hi powell30 - thank you for your reply.....I think I'm understanding it better now. If I didn't want a CWS up in loft (worried about future leaks!!) would an economy7 cylinder suffice downstairs as long as I installed an electric shower using mains pressure cold (the pressure of cold water out of taps is pretty strong at moment.)
Thank you K :idea:

hi powell30 - thank you for your reply.....I think I'm understanding it better now. If I didn't want a CWS up in loft (worried about future leaks!!) would an economy7 cylinder suffice downstairs as long as I installed an electric shower using mains pressure cold (the pressure of cold water out of taps is pretty strong at moment.)
Thank you K :idea:

Yes, no problem with this. You will need a CWS somewhere though, probably in the airing cupboard above the cylinder, which means that this may need to be rebuilt or strengthened to carry the extra weight. Alternatively, if you're having a new cylinder put in anyway you could use a combined one

Get me in from Sussex. I`ll do a CWS in loft and guarantee it won`t leak. and for extra, I`ll do a lead safe under it . ;) Those combined ones won`t be big enough for eco.7

have a look at an unvented cylinder, it would seem to suit your needs exactly, but have the main water pressure and flow measured before you do anything.

Thank you all for your advice I am understanding it better now and have the information to move forward with the project. Thanks K :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back