water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello :) i'm wondering if anyone could please give me some advice about my water tank. I've had a look through your site and took bits from some of the posts that have a little in common with my problem but unfortunately, it hasn't helped.

I have a coal fire, i have a water tank in my loft, that's full of cold water. I think this feeds a tank thats underneath in my bedroom in a cupboard and under that is a metal tank.

We haven't had any hot water for 2 days which i think is due to the attic tank not emptying....

Anyone that can help, i'd be very grateful :D Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Its not possible for me to guess what kind of system you really have!

Does your coal fire warm the house? With radiators or direct?

Where does your hot water come from? Is it heated by the coal fire? Or an electric immersion heater in a cylinder?

It sounds like the system my grandmother used to have before she emigrated to Australia!

Tony

Haha you have a lucky grandmother :D

My coal fire warms the water and the radiators, but i do have a immersion heater too that is in the metal tank (i know this cos they replaced it due to it sticking on and making the water boil).

I can't have the immersion heater on at the same time as my fire as the tank starts to boil and rumble and boils over (i know this also due to my ceiling coming through because of this).

Hope this helps. Thanks Tony :D

Sponsored Links
There's no water at all. Its been 5 days now and ikve not turned on the hot tap at all but I did this morning and it gave me about a quarter of a bowl full of warm water. I think if the tank had been full, it would have been hot so its deffo not a heating problem. I still have cold water and the radiators are heating up. I've been up in the attic and tried to see if I could unblock any pipes but its difficult to see. If I knew this was the cause I'd have to get some help I thinkmm

Any help would be really appreciated :) thank you in advance x

If I understand you correctly there's very little water coming out the taps? Photo would help (of the tanks etc!), but there should be a cold water tank that feeds the hot water tank. If the cold tank cant fill up then it wont supply the hot tank and thus the taps.

Possible causes would be a stuck ballvalve, or dirt in the ballvalve blocking it. Can you check if either of the tanks are empty?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back