water treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I have empted the my combie boiler system so I can pull of a radiator/ on one of the rads the water that came out looked a bit brown and rusty? Just wondering, when I refill should the water be treated to stop rusting?

Sponsored Links
1) if the sediment is brown, then you have a fault which is allowing air to get into the water, or fresh oxygenated water to be added.

2) if you have a modern combi boiler then you presumably have a pressure gauge on the boiler and no feed and expansion tank in the loft, so how is the air getting in? Has it been leaking? Have you been topping it up?

3) If you have a modern combi boiler then the installer who fitted it should have cleaned out all the sediment from the old radsiators before fitting the boiler.

You need to find out where the air has been getting in, and fix it. You need to clean out all the old corrosion using a sediment cleaner such as Sentinel X800 or X400. When you re-fill the system after finishing all the worl, you need to include a corrosion-inhibitor such as Sentinel X100.

If you have a rather dirty system it would probably benefit from fitting a system filter to capture circulating particles before they can accumulate into a blockage. It needs basic DIY plumbing skills and wil cost about £100.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back