Water volume calculation !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know the ratio of volume to gallons/litres of water (and for the picky ones, yes, at sea level) ? Want to know what the capacity of my cold water storage tank is before I decide on pumped shower. There are no markings on the tank but I know its dimensions and the depth of water. I should know this but can't recall !

Sponsored Links
Thanks lewy but I already know the metric to imperial convertion rates, not what I'm looking for.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. Must get to grips with this metric stuff it all starts to look so simple compared to imperial, e.g. 1000 ltrs = 1M3, 1ltr (at sea lvl) = 1kg, etc, etc.

Reckon on 100 litres of actual hot water from a 36 x 18" cylinder. A bit less if you use a proper "flange" (look that up!)

Also reckon on 2 parts hot to one of cold. So at 12 l/min in the shower you get about 100/8 = 12.5 minutes.

Thanks ChrisR, thats useful too. Would expect a little longer than the 12.5 minutes as the boiler will also have been on during this period, but useful ground facts.

To rely on that you'd have to use W plan otherwise the heating might be on, circulating a whole systemful of cold water through the primaries. Also depends on the quality of the cyl and size of boiler, position and hysteresis of thermostat, etc

NB 12l/min isn't a lot. 30 l/min is quite nice, for 3 minutes or so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back