waterless urinal install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
QUESTIONS:
1. Is polyurethane or vinyl tube resistant to urine and possible mildew?

2. Is it possible to tap into ABS pipe (drill threads into ABS and screw in fitting)?

REASON:
I just acquired a Falcon waterless urinal for installation in my home. I would like to avoid a permanent installation because I want to remove it easily before I sell the house (not everyone appreciates a home urinal).

I am building a stand for the urinal to sit on. It has a flat base and will be easy to accomplish. I will not have to cut into the wall and permanently mount it.

The issue is connecting it to the ABS drain pipe under the floor. The only effluence from the urinal is the urine itself, no water. For my temporary connection (which could last up to 3 years) I was thinking of using a flexible 1/2" hose out of the back of the urinal through a small hole in the floor, tapped into the ABS.

Am I setting myself up for failure?

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, kevplumb,

Could you please explain "it still blocks"?

"Tap into ABS", I was thinking of drilling threads into the ABS pipe and screwing in a threaded fitting to attatch the flexible hose.

The reason I though of 1/2" hose is that only urine during each use is drained through the hose. There is no water, so it is only urine drained. Smaller diameter hose will require smaller hole drilled in floor (which will be patched when urinal is removed).

The biggest problem I can see here is, what is the trap going to be filled with. The trap beneath the urinal should be full of water, to prevent ingress of smells from the drains. In this type of setup, at best, it's going to be full of urine, at worst, it will be more or less, empty.

surely it's gonna smell?

Sponsored Links
in the uk we use 1 1/2 pipe for urinals and and i have still had them full of scale from urine its not a plesant job to clean out

having never come across one of these i assume the trap is something along the lines of the hepvo variety

i would certainly use bigger than 1/2 inch :D

TexMex said:
The biggest problem I can see here is, what is the trap going to be filled with.quote]

The trap is built into the waterless urinal. In the urinal drain, there is a annually replaced trap that contains the urine under a layer of oil. The trap is self-contained and sealed. Here is a link to a picture of the urinal trap:

http://www.falconwaterfree.com/how/index.htm

My biggest concerns are the hose possibly degrading from urine and weather or not it is possible to drill a tap into the ABS.

Thanks for your assistance!

Surely you can get a fitting of some sort for the ABS??
I think you're safe in that urine doesn't attack plastics we all use for wastes!

The trap is built into the waterless urinal. In the urinal drain, there is a annually replaced trap that contains the urine under a layer of oil.
That's rather snazzy. I've never seen one of them before. I'd have thought the ideal material for your application would be the flexible hose used on washing machine wastes. It's obviously not unduely affected by alkali solutions.

As kevplumb says, urine produces quite a lot of limescale, so small bore pipe will become blocked fairly quickly, (probably quicker than if it was watered down). You could probably keep this under control by a flush through with hot citric acid before every cartridge change. Alternatively, what the heck, once it's getting blocked just chuck the hose and buy a new lump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back