Waterproofing joins in plastic splashback?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bath/shower is lined with plastic splashback panels. The sealant around the bath is getting mouldy and it seems like the gaps between the panels are as well (I've attached a picture). I suspect that water is getting inbetween the panels. If that's the case I can remove the existing sealant, run a dehumidifier in the room to dry everything out, and then reapply the sealant, but I assume the issue will just come back as long as water can get inbetween the panels.

Does anyone know how best to waterproof the joins where the panels meet? The only thing I can think of is to use sealant, but I feel that's going to just splodge everywhere and make a giant mess. Has anyone done anything like this before, and if so what would you advise?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• PXL_20231213_231333707.jpg
    PXL_20231213_231333707.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
Joins should already be waterproof by design .Mould is a result of poor ventilation, apply mould remover and ensure room is ventilated effectively .

Joins should already be waterproof by design .Mould is a result of poor ventilation, apply mould remover and ensure room is ventilated effectively .
I'm sure they should be, but when I previously replaced the sealant there was some water that came out from behind it, which suggests to me that water's getting in between the panels somehow. Possibly where two panels meet, possibly where they meet via that plastic join in the corner (which does seem like it's not meeting flush with the panels).

I'll make sure to apply mould remover though. The bathroom has an extractor fan which vents outside and we always open the window while showering, so I'm not sure what else we can do on the ventilation front.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back