waterproofing the garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

i want to use my garage as a gym but its damp. the garage and my house is at the bottom of a tier'd garden, the back wall of the garage is approx 3/4 under ground, one side is approx 1/2 underground with the front and the other side above gorund level, the damp comes in through the rear wall. behind the rear wall is a small area of grass approx 2m square and then the first wall of the tier's. ive pottered around the garden and am not convinced the walls have deep enough foundations (no expert but they appear to have been built on a thin layer of concrete) for me to be able to dig out behind the rear wall and put in a DPC.

Anyone know of any products that will effectively seal and waterproof the single skin brick walls from the inside.

cheers

Sponsored Links
I suspect it's impossible to waterproof from the inside. Post some pictures.

You should be able to do the walls with a 'tanking slurry' which is specifically used to stop damp entering basements. The floor will need a DPM installed and then screeded over

riw make a product that will do this. have a look on their website or pop into a local builders merchants

Sponsored Links
this is waht i do to tey n insulate/damp proof half brick porch's etc.

paint insid eof all walls,top to bottom with 2 coats on riw or similar.then screw battens onto wall and infill with insulation and then board.eithe rplasterboard and skim for interiors of homes but for a gym u could use ply or similar and a cover batten over the joints.
lay thin insulation on floor,then a 1200 gauge membrane and then a chipborad floating floor,glue joints n leave gap around perimeter and a skirting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back