Watts Milux RF Wierless Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.I just bought Watts Milux RF Thermostat.I was trying to replace an old one that sits on a wall but i am not sure how can i connect it.There are three cables coming out of wall (red,black,earth).New receiver has 5 connections (N,L,1,C,-). I would really appreciate if someone could advise me how to connect a new thermostat.I have got a digital programmer upstairs that controls central heating and hot water.Will i have to do anything with this as well?thanks.

Sponsored Links
it is a programmable thermostat.
Thanks.

The wiring to the existing stat position will not be suitable for the receiver. You can still install the control unit there but the receiver will have to somewhere else.

You say there is a digital programmer upstairs, so presumably you have a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard.

Is there a wiring centre (large junction box) in the airing cupboard?

Sponsored Links
There is a water tank in a cupboard and there is a large junction box as well.many cables going to and from it.2 of them are going in to a digital programmer

There is a water tank in a cupboard and there is a large junction box as well.many cables going to and from it.2 of them are going in to a digital programmer
That's encouraging. ;)

The receiver will have to be mounted on the wall outside the cupboard (preferably high up) and wired directly into the junction box. You will need a three core (plus earth) cable.

I need the following info for wiring instructions:

Do you have any motorized valves (see pics below)in the cupboard? If so how many and which type?

View media item 5946View media item 11762
What is the make and model of your programmer?

What is the make and model of your boiler?

There is one motorized valve in cupboard- it is Lifestyle Mid position valve.
Programmer is Barlo Products and model is EPR-1
Boiler is Trianco Gas,model W.M. 30/40 R.S.

Thanku you for helping me out.I really appreciate this

There is one motorized valve in cupboard- it is Lifestyle Mid position valve.
Programmer is Barlo Products and model is EPR-1
Boiler is Trianco Gas,model W.M. 30/40 R.S.
Thanks for the info. Sorry I didn't reply sooner but DIYnot was crawling last night and I gave up.

I have found some info about your new RF Stat which means that I now suggest you mount the receiver at a lower lever, so the indicator lights are visible if necessary. But before you fix the receiver in place, you need to check that the two parts of the new stat have good radio communication. Attach a lead with a 3 pin plug to a length of cable and connect the other end to the L and N terminals of the receiver. Then plug into a socket and get someone to hold the receiver in the proposed location. Put the controller in its proposed location (where the old stat is?) and check that the two communicate (instructions in the Manual).

Your existing Programmer will still be used for Hot Water. The new stat will take the place of the Heating side of the existing programmer and the existing stat.

Now for the wiring.

Turn power to heating system OFF
Remove the lid from junction box
Now identify the following terminals:
Power in Live
Power in Neutral
Motorized valve White

The terminal for the White wire will have a second wire connected. This wire and the others in the same cable go to the existing stat so they can all be disconnected.

You will need a three core (plus earth - not used) cable to connect the receiver.
Connect Receiver L to Junction box Live IN
Connect Receiver N to Junction box Neutral IN
Connect Receiver 1 to the terminal with the White wire.
Turn power ON and check if the boiler lights when just heating is on. If it does, that's the job done.

If the boiler does NOT light, Turn the power off.
Insert a short length of wire to link the Receiver L terminal to the C terminal.
Turn Power ON and check again.

The cable to the old thermostat is now dead, so you remove the old stat from the wall if you want to.

Thank you for instructions.I am going to work tonight so i will give it a go tomorrow and let you know about results.Thank you for your time

Hi.just tried to connect the receiver.When I connected Receiver L Terminal to C terminal as soon as i switched the power back on programmer stopped working (blank screen).I checked and there is no power on cables,there is no power on old thermostat on the wall either.I have disconnected receiver.Any ideas?Maybe one of the main fuses tripped out?

Hi.just tried to connect the receiver.When I connected Receiver L Terminal to C terminal as soon as i switched the power back on programmer stopped working (blank screen).I checked and there is no power on cables,there is no power on old thermostat on the wall either.I have disconnected receiver.Any ideas?Maybe one of the main fuses tripped out?
Is the Milux brand new and did it come in a sealed box?

Have you checked the fuses?

Have you checked the wiring (the terminals are labelled on the Milux): L to junction box Live, N to Junction box Neutral, 1 to Junction box white wire

Do you have a multimeter (and know how to use it? ;) )

Disconnect the link from L to C and the wire to 1. measure the voltage between L and N (240Vac). Measure between C and N. If 0Vac you need to insert the link between L and C. It should then measure 240Vac between C and N. Turn stat down to min and check 1 to N is 0Vac. Turn it to max and check it is 240Vac.

If this checks out, the stat is OK. Fault must be elsewhere.

Can you post a pic of the junction box (lid off)?

PS I assume you meant that the Milux stopped working.

Hi.good news.Everything is sorted now.Fus was blown and when i changed it everything went back on.I tried to connect all the cables from the scratch exactly as you instructed me and it works fine now.receiver communicates with controller and boiler lights uo when it has to.So job done.Thanks to you.
I appreciate your help and time you spent explaining this to me.I wouldn't do it without you.Thank you very much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back