We smelled gas in the cellar - called Gas Emergency Service *VIDEO*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I could smell gas in the cellar near the meter. Asked my wife to check as well - she said she could smell it too. Called the gas emergency number on the meter.

We have an extractor fan in the cellar so turned it on to clear the air. After the smell had gone I turned the fan off but kept trying to smell for gas - didn't notice anything.

The emergency gas man came about 40 minutes later with his sniffer and manometer. Sniffed around and didn't detect anything. Did a tightness test with his manometer and everything checked out OK. He even checked the neighbours either side who were OK.

I am a bit confused as to what happened - to the point that I'm doubting my sense of smell. Any thoughts? I'm posting a video of where the pipe comes through the wall - I thought the smell was coming from the hole around the pipe. Should I just fill that hole up with mortar / expanding foam (just in case)??

Sponsored Links
We have an extractor fan in the cellar so turned it on to clear the air. After the smell had gone I turned the fan off but kept trying to smell for gas - didn't notice anything.
you see the instructions on the meter saying if you smell gas , "DO NOT operate any electrical switches", could have been a very different outcome if it was Gas and you did that

There was an advert years ago with a light switch, same thing gas + spark = boom..

Sponsored Links
you see the instructions on the meter saying if you smell gas , "DO NOT operate any electrical switches", could have been a very different outcome if it was Gas and you did that
TBH that horse had long bolted, the lights were on plus a couple of other plugged in devices!

The gas smell wasn't that intense.. akin to leaving the cooker on for a bit without igniting

TBH that horse had long bolted, the lights were on plus a couple of other plugged in devices!
Doent matter there are specific testing procedures, before switching an electrical switch ON OR OFF, you cant test by your nose

so any ideas as to how this could have happened? will filling up the hole with expanding foam stop any gas coming into the house if there is a leak somewhere downstream? (in the underground pipe system)

After this episode thinking of getting a natural gas alarm.. rather than relying on my sense of smell anyone can recommend a natural gas alarm?

The ones I googled seem quite dear!

After this episode thinking of getting a natural gas alarm.. rather than relying on my sense of smell anyone can recommend a natural gas alarm?

The ones I googled seem quite dear!
Good-quality ones are expensive. Cheap ones are pointless. In either case, the gas sniffer that the gas emergency service come round with will be much more sensitive and retail at around £2000, so if that's not picking anything up I suspect you have a different problem.

Are there any boiler flue terminals nearby?
Unburnt gas is always expelled during ignition and could have made its way in.

Its not the being on which is the risk, its operating the switch. If there is a gas leak switching things off is as dangerous as switching them on.

I believe onions can give off a similar odour?

I would hope not, it’s in a cellar :eek:

Terminals outside...and if a boiler happened to be in the cellar the flue could be 300mm above the ground so unburnt gas entry is quite possible through broken brickwork/vents etc.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back