Weep Vents

Talking of which, felt was not present on early roofs btw, or are you aware of ye olde Tudor roofing feltte? With an adequate lap on the tiles and pitch on the roof, there would not be any requirement for felt and its use these days is primarily to allow the roof to breathe, not to stop rainwater getting in - and certainly not into the cavity - which is closed, uh duh.

Like I said before - it leaks past the wall plate. I've seen it. If you know anything about buildings then you'll have seen it too won't you? Oh I forgot - you only wander around with a clip board.

Sponsored Links
Shytalkz";p="934408 said:
Prior to the manufacture of proprietary weepholes, perps over openings were raked out. This suggests that there were indeed recorded instances where damp transferred across the cavities in the vicinity of openings and that the weepholes were then introduced as means to prevent this.

That's when the roof or window frames or pointing were allowing ingress. Just a bit of a bodge fix.

Joe - You are the weakest link, good bye!

We had some pretty harsh rain not too long ago, along with some very strong winds. I was standing in my kitchen and I felt water splashing onto me. Looked down and sure enough a small puddle had formed on the window sill. Further investigation (by which I mean, looking up a bit) revealed that water was coming through just above the window, being forced through the wall by the wind pressure. The upvc frame is sealed and the soldier course pointing is intact. To my knowledge this has never happened before and hasn't happened since. I can also say the same for the weather that day.

So I have witnessed first hand that in rare freak occurrences, a 'good' wall will ingress water.

You need new windows.

Why? the windows are watertight. It's the wall above the window that was letting the water in, unless water was coming through the windows and travelling up to magically appear through the wall?

Oh I forget, this is what's known as rising damp in Joe's World. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If I'm wrong - then so is physics. Tell me why header bricks aren't prone to leaking through into the house. I take it you know what a header is?
And solid walled properties have never experienced penetrating damp on the inside face, have they?

As for your last turgid comment, I've forgotten a damn sight more about building than you ever will ever know.

Like I said before - it leaks past the wall plate. I've seen it. If you know anything about buildings then you'll have seen it too won't you?
If this hitherto unknown, but in your world widespread course of water penetration via the wallplate was actually a real problem and the only way of water penetration into a cavity, wouldn't BRegs be demanding that we put a dpc under the plate, dressed across the cavity to the outer leaf; or even over the plate and under the rafters/truss feet? The fact that we don't might just suggest that the BRE and others don't quite percieve of it being either a problem or even a mechanism that exists on a widespread basis in the first place, eh?

Again, you're right to question the need for these weepholes in every situation, but BRegs says we have to have them, so that's why they go in. And that's why Nose, way back when, said the OP had to put them in.

If I'm wrong - then so is physics. Tell me why header bricks aren't prone to leaking through into the house. I take it you know what a header is?
And solid walled properties have never experienced penetrating damp on the inside face, have they?

As for your last turgid comment, I've forgotten a damn sight more about building than you ever will ever know.
#

I think you've forgotten everything about building. Then again, you've never built anything have you Mr Clip-Board Man?

http://www.masonrymagazine.com/4-07/flashing.html

read this and weep (vent) joe. :LOL:

i have read numerous topics about cavity trays and not one mention water ingress via the wall plate.

you have said many foolish things on this site but this one tops the lot.

please show us documented evidence whereby cavity trays or weep vents are used in conjunction with wall plate water ingress. (he won't)

absurd, but still amusing.

don't forget this one...http://www.lpg-portable-heaters.co.uk/conservatory/cavity_tray .htm

I'm waiting for you to tell me why header bricks don't allow moisture iingress. If you can't - you have no argument.

Joe - You are the weakest link, good bye!

We had some pretty harsh rain not too long ago, along with some very strong winds. I was standing in my kitchen and I felt water splashing onto me. Looked down and sure enough a small puddle had formed on the window sill. Further investigation (by which I mean, looking up a bit) revealed that water was coming through just above the window, being forced through the wall by the wind pressure. The upvc frame is sealed and the soldier course pointing is intact. To my knowledge this has never happened before and hasn't happened since. I can also say the same for the weather that day.

So I have witnessed first hand that in rare freak occurrences, a 'good' wall will ingress water.

You need new windows.

Why? the windows are watertight. It's the wall above the window that was letting the water in, unless water was coming through the windows and travelling up to magically appear through the wall?

Oh I forget, this is what's known as rising damp in Joe's World. :rolleyes:

If your windows are leaking - then for heaven's sake fix your windows. Is it leaking anywhere apart from around your windows? No? Then fix your flippin' windows.

Do they have water running down the inside walls that would be expelled via weep vents in a cavity wall? Nope - they just make the paint blister and get salts in the render. Thanks for proving MY argument that water doesn't run down an inside wall. Even then it only happens when there's a leaky downpipe or gutter. Oh and a leaky roof onto the wallplate of course. :LOL:

Like I said before - it leaks past the wall plate. I've seen it. If you know anything about buildings then you'll have seen it too won't you?
If this hitherto unknown, but in your world widespread course of water penetration via the wallplate was actually a real problem and the only way of water penetration into a cavity, wouldn't BRegs be demanding that we put a dpc under the plate, dressed across the cavity to the outer leaf; or even over the plate and under the rafters/truss feet? The fact that we don't might just suggest that the BRE and others don't quite percieve of it being either a problem or even a mechanism that exists on a widespread basis in the first place, eh?

Again, you're right to question the need for these weepholes in every situation, but BRegs says we have to have them, so that's why they go in. And that's why Nose, way back when, said the OP had to put them in.

I've seen water from a roof discharge into the cavity. It's pretty basic stuff, mate. You've not seen many properties if you think it doesn't happen.

Oh I forgot -- you stay on terra firma with your clipboard for £720 per day.

One for Noseall:

Do you build single skin garages? Why do you do that if you know they will leak down the inside walls? Are the walls all waterlogged? If so - why do you use such a system that will rot anything stored in the garage?

If you can't answer - then you clearly have no argument. Single skin walls don't leak, ergo cavity walls don't leak. If they do - then you tell me how. If you cannot - then you have no argument.

Here's a thing Joe: from NHBC Standards Part 6

DAMP-PROOF COURSES AND CAVITY TRAYS
6.1 - D6Damp-proof courses and related components shall be provided to prevent moisture rising or entering the building
Items to be taken into account include:

(a) dpcs
Damp-proof courses should be provided in accordance with the Table in Appendix 6.1-D.

At complicated junctions, clear drawings should be provided and preformed profiles specified. Isometric drawings can sometimes be clearer than the combination of plan and section/elevation drawings.

(b) cavity trays
Cavity trays should be provided at all interruptions to the cavity, eg window and door openings, air bricks, etc, unless otherwise protected, eg by overhanging eaves.

A cavity tray should:

provide an impervious barrier and ensure that water drains outwards
project at least 25mm beyond the outer face of the cavity closure or, where a combined cavity tray and lintel is acceptable, give complete protection to the top of the reveal and vertical dpc where provided
provide drip protection to door and window heads
have an overall minimum upstand from the inside face of the outer leaf to the outside of the inner leaf of 140mm
be shaped to provide at least a 100mm vertical protection above a point where mortar droppings could collect.

Yes water drains outward - but there is only water in a cavity if the roof or window seals leak - and you know that to be a fact but are just too stubborn to admit that the Great Joe-90 is right (as usual).

You go on believing in the massive failure rates of roofing felt at eaves level, even though roofs originally did not have roofing felt and that via the wallplate is the only way that moisture can enter the cavity, if it pleases you. (He will :LOL: ).

I look forward to hearing about your next project with a cavity wall where you refused to put cavity trays in, or weepholes and yet still obtained a completion certificate, how you single-handedly caused the entire BRegs and NHBC Standards to be rewritten as a result and even authored a new BSCP all on your lonesome, following which you were feted by all the captains of industry and obtained a knighthood for services to the construction industry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back