weeping rad tail

Sponsored Links
I'm stating the obvious here, but the packing gland on the rad valve is definately not leaking is it?

Sponsored Links
I tried to slacken the nut but got more water than i bargained for, was going to wrap ptfe tape on it opted for tightening it up

hope it doesnt week still

?????

Im going to curt with you here OP.

Wrapping Polytetrafluoroethylene around a slackened compression joint threads WILL NOT WORK. End of. No iff's, butt's or maybe's. You will never get it around the olive without draining down as I'm sure your well aware of. Not unless you wish to canoe in and out of the room that has the leaky joint.

You can try to tighten the nut to compress the olive further onto the pipe. In a lot of circumstances, this will work. In some, it wont. If you deform the olive or pipe, your going to make a bad sitaution worse.

In your last post you stated
I tried to slacken the nut but got more water than i bargained for

What on earth were you expecting; a dribble? Its a 'live' joint with a fair bit of pressure behind it - even on an OV system.

Leak sealer on this simple repair is a blatant bodge, so either do it properly yourself (drain it down and remake all the weeping joints) or get a recommended plumber who will do it for you. I cant speak for all the other plumbers who have commented, but it seems you have had every bit of advice available now.

Mr. W.

found this morning it was weeping from what i feel is the drain plug (the little chrome one)

undid it wrapped with ptfe...all seems to be fine :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back