Weird one...(no spelling mistake!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if the gurus on here have ever come across this...we have been updating a pre 1920's two bed terrace which was previously abandoned a few months ago. The property surprisingly didn't need too much doing where wiring was concerned, but after taking advice, we decided to put in a more modern CU, mainly so we can have more fuseways for an extra ring main and shower etc. When we checked the main fuse, the seal was already broken, we presume by the previous owner, so we pulled it out ready to do the CU exchange..we noticed there was another fuse, indentical in every way next to the one we pulled..this also had a broken seal, so for safety sake, we pulled that one too. 5 minutes later we get a knock on the door from the old boy next door asking if our power had gone off :!: :?:

Anyway, cut a long story short..it turned out that the second fuse we pulled actually disconnected the house next door...now, is this usual?? I admit I have never come across this before and although we laughed about it, I find the whole thing a bit worrying...what do you guys think? Any suggestions?

bungarm

Sponsored Links
its not that common but it is seen sometimes in semis

nothing to worry about really

do be *VERY* carefull though it may be on a different phase

it may be an idea to *carefully* meter between them and if you get 415V you should really fit a warning sticker

plugwash said:
it may be an idea to *carefully* meter between them and if you get 415V you should really fit a warning sticker

why?

to do that incriminates your self, since as you know you should not pull the supply fuse, but to put a sticker on it gives away you know something you shouldn't ..................unless you metered it

Round my way it's not uncommon to find two households sharing a single fuse. Usually ex-council property, but a right pain when, in order to work on one house, you have to plunge the next door neighbour into darkness!

By the way, what [non]spelling mistake? There's nowt weird about weird.

Sponsored Links
Good grief! disconnected several houses by removing one fuse?? Makes my problem small in comparison! Anyway, it seems this kind of thing is pretty common in that particular area, so I'm not too worried...not sure about the old boy next door tho...he's been there 33 years, and didn't have a clue. Thanks for the replies...by the way, the spelling thing is just summat daft ...I am truly bad at spelling, and always spell certain words wrong regardless of how many times I write 'em down...'wired' being one of them...(usually comes out as weird?!) bet you wished you'd never asked now... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back