WELDED TAP CONNECTIONS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to change my worksurface in the kitchen. The sink has monobloc mixer taps fitted. When I went to disconnect the supply pipes it looks as if the pipes have been welded to the connectors. The house is approx 6 years old and my view to the pipes is limited. Is it possible that the connectors and pipes are welded?

Sponsored Links
If you want to use the taps again, and you chose to cut the pipe, don't use one of the cicular pipeslices on the tap side of the joint, they have too much force for the thinwalled tube. It would be ok on the pipe side of the joint though.

i'm just doing the same, the connection pipes screw into underside of my monobloc tap, the pipes appear to be welded to the screw in bit , maybe this is the case. try gripping with mole grips and twisting. ????????????????

after re-reading i think i misunderstood, sorry.

Sponsored Links
jazsam said:
I'm about to change my worksurface in the kitchen. The sink has monobloc mixer taps fitted. When I went to disconnect the supply pipes it looks as if the pipes have been welded to the connectors. The house is approx 6 years old and my view to the pipes is limited. Is it possible that the connectors and pipes are welded?

A common provision with current day monoblocs is a brass male thread coupling soldered to a tail of of copper tube, which is drawn to 10mm for about half its length and 15mm for the other half.

The means of making on to the 15mm end of the tail is down to the circumstances and the judgement of the installer, but it's this connection that you should be dismantling, not cutting the tail or trying to unscrew the threaded male spigot.

To remove the monbloc tap you then unscrew the mounting nut using appropriate box spanners. If you don't have a suitable set of these then you can buy a pair of long box spanners sold by Monument and expressly intended for this purpose.

Hope this helps.
S.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back