welding joint broken

Sponsored Links
Cheaper and easier to take it to a backstreet garage and get them to grind and weld it for a tenner or so.

If the metal is steel, it could be repaired quite easily using a MIG welder.....I wouldn't attempt this with an arc welder, which is what most of the cheaper kits are. I would happily braze it with oxy acetylene gear though.
Best to remove the paint or coating, and take the thing along to a local garage / blacksmith or whatever.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys. fox you gave me a idea of instead of hiring at about £60 i could buy a second hand MIG welder what you opinions on that? if not i will have a phone around at weekend to see if anyone would do it

Would i as a total amateur get anywhere near a decent weld to do a good job after a bit of practice on something?

The question is:

Why did it break? are you TOO heavy for this bike?

Maybe it's time for a gym membership ;)

Andy

Better to enquire at a small garage who have welding equipment. I'm sure they would not charge you much and the job would be a good one!

Because it's satisfying to learn how to fix it yourself! Don't condemn the guy for being resourceful and wanting to learn!

Because it's satisfying to learn how to fix it yourself! Don't condemn the guy for being resourceful and wanting to learn!

Who's condemning? If someone wants to learn a new skill I encourage anyone to do that! I would enrole on a college course most beneficial to train properly for the safety of the individual and others.

If you just want to get your equipment fixed then the most cost effective option would be as previously advised.

Chill :cool:

No-one's condemning the OP, least of all me, but I am if nothing else a realist and an amateur weld by a learner is likely to break again, when he's using the bike and could then possibly cause injury.

If you don't think you can perform a successful job, why ask in the first place, this forum gives advice, not personal re-assurance of one's abilities ;)

Arthur2 cos i was hoping. Well i did ask today and none will do it.
Cajar exactly! i been wanting one for a while to learn how to do this, it would prob somewhere to come in handy. like im crap at wood work but im trying with that as well.
Arthur i wasn't looking for re-assurance on my ability.

If i cant get anyone to do it, i'll use U bolts to do it and ill learn to weld for a next time

If it were me I'd pop round a blacksmiths or small engineering firm with it in the boot and a crisp £20 note, I wouldnt waste time on the phone. Of course you may have tried this approach ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back