Welding set/supply question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, wondered if anybody could clear these questions up for me.

1, have a welding set at work which on the plate says 415v, 114A supply current.

does this 114A refer to total amps, i.e it'l be 38 per phase? or is it 14A per phase?

2, with 3 phase is this how it works where the equipment will pull equal amps down each phase roughly? or is there any flow of current between phases?

3, the circuit supplying the socket to plug into is protected by a 60 amp circuit breakers with 6mm live's, isnt this cable a bit undersized?

Sponsored Links
1. would think 38A per phase.

2. 3 phase appliances pull approx. equal amps down each phase and return them on the neutral. the current on the neutral therefore is approx. zero. Pure motor loads may not need a neutral, since a motor can be taken to be a balanced load. If the motor has additional control panels, it may need a neutral, or the controls may be wired between 2 phases. This is how i understand it anyway. I'm not a 3 phase expert though.

3. yes it is undersized.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back