Wet driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had this drive done in the summer what can I do to limit the amount the rainwater on driveway called the builder back last to to fix his bad job :evil: He said it would cost me £330 to fix some sort of drain into my sewer system.. Erm you have got clay soil he said.. why did you not do the drive correctly in the first place .. don't expect to see him back soon. Any ideas more gravel! in affected area or what thanks Paul.
Ps. He had lifted existing flagstones and semi levelled area and covered with menbreame be for laying gravel.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you got a cheap job which is probably what you asked for.
Would look better if you reinstated slabs IMO.
Anyway everything gets wet when it rains - just put up with it.

whats under the shingle?

should have had a linear drainage along the front edge to sort out the water and to comply with the latest planning rules, if its not free draining (er which it isnt!)

ditto thermo .scrape off shingle and build up low area's with type 1 or similar and re cover with your shingle.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you got a cheap job which is probably what you asked for.
Would look better if you reinstated slabs IMO.
Anyway everything gets wet when it rains - just put up with it.
Thanks for your constuctive advice.. :LOL:

whats under the shingle?

its just clay type soil under the membrame fibre then the chips.
I take it the job was not done right then

I think the bottom line Paul is that you need to have a properly prepared base for your membrane and shingle to sit on. As you have clay you can either go the expensive option which is to insert drainage or the cheaper option which is to dig out some of the clay, lay MOT1 then membrane then shingle.

This will hopefully take away the excess water. Planning considerations aside, it looks at least that your fall is in the right direction.

Personally I would lay the MOT1 to at least 100mm.

Your man did a very basic job to say the least. :rolleyes:

This 'membrane' he has fitted, it is porous isn't it?

Fabric membranes suitable for this application need to allow water to pass through i.e. geotex, weed barrier etc.

did he ride a horse?

if your on heavy clay then the sub-base should be approaching 250-300mm for a decent long lasting drive. There is no need for a fabric memebrane on a drive that is done properly. should be drainage as well, regardless of teh depth of the mot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back