Wet underfloor issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I need some advice on my DIY wet under floor system I installed in my new build house recently.

Basically I have fitted some JS Speedfit 15mm pipe into a 100mm insulation foam board by routeing the pipe slot into the foam and then pressing the pipe into the foam slot at 200 mm centres.
I then placed flooring chip board on top of the foam/pipe set up.
It’s all quite tidy and I was quite chuffed with my efforts

However I have been talking with a heating engineer that tells me I should have used spreader plates in my under floor construction (these are aluminium plates that hold the water pipe at 200mm centres) are he says help significantly distribute the heat from the water pipe better into the rooms.
Is this true?.
I assumed the spreader plates was just a way of holding the water pipe in place at the 200 centres and no efficiency gain.
Is it true what the heating engineer is saying or is he just trying to drum up more work ?.
But if he is right can anyone tell me how much efficiency I’m loosing?
If say 5 (five) % then it's not really worth my while pulling the floors up...if however its 100% then I best consider using the spreader plates.

I would be very grateful for any relevant freed back.

Dave

Sponsored Links
plumber 90....thanks.
I'm spinning here on my seat with your fast reply.

So am I right in thinking the spreader plates are more of a location gadget other than an essential part of the efficiency of the system?.

Just need some guidance. Thanks again

My Mrs saw your reply and shoved a paint brush in my hand.
There always some thing that needs doing...lol.

Don't worry about it, some systems have them fitted, others don't.

Complete rubbish!!

OP start worrying, think about it; how much of the pipe surface is going to produce heat, 1/3 at a push. UFH like all things needs to be designed by someone in the know. Plus, Skool boy physics tells you what about wood & the transfer of heat??

C'mon get a design done by a reputable UFH company or your home will be cold in the Winter.

Sponsored Links
I recently added a further room of similar UFH to my house with 90% UFH already up and running and the heating was back on, due to it being November, before the flooring chipboard was laid. The heat output on the bends (no heat spreader plates) was difficult to feel but on the straights with spreader plates all the metal plates were warm to the touch.

My conclusion is that the spreader plates are essential for this type of UFH to work properly.

BTW I admire your efforts in routing the pipe slots! I took the easy option and used commercially available slotted 'and plated' insulation boards. :)

PS. Don't forget to pressure test each loop as it could save you more work if a pipe leaks!

plumber 90....thanks.
I'm spinning here on my seat with your fast reply.

So am I right in thinking the spreader plates are more of a location gadget other than an essential part of the efficiency of the system?.

Just need some guidance. Thanks again

My Mrs saw your reply and shoved a paint brush in my hand.
There always some thing that needs doing...lol.

I guess this poor guy & his wife are ripping up the floor or she's murdered him with a paint brush perhaps??

Yes the spreader plates are important if you want to achieve a decent output per sq/m.

If its just one room than its not the end off the world to pull up the flooring.
If its several rooms then its a disaster.

Plumber 90 is totally correct mate,listen to someone who has actually installed UHF not some Screwfix idiot.

I have fitted loads of UFH for my self and big firms. All of which has been designed and supplied by the manufacturer. None of which have ever been supplied with metal plates.

In fact I have just got one up and running last week, the temperature on the mixing valve on the manifold is set to minimum is set to 40 degrees (can go to 85) and te people are saying it got nice and hot really quick.

I have fitted loads of UFH for my self and big firms. All of which has been designed and supplied by the manufacturer. None of which have ever been supplied with metal plates.

In fact I have just got one up and running last week, the temperature on the mixing valve on the manifold is set to minimum is set to 40 degrees (can go to 85) and te people are saying it got nice and hot really quick.

What system are you referring too? Have you a link to these manufacturers?

Look em up Norcon, you have never fitted UHF in your life,not down to installers to teach you. ;)

Well, he may or may not have installed UHF?? But he certainly has little or no experience of UFH!!.........

Why have you just Googled UHF and learned summat? Time served MasterBator. :rolleyes:

Look em up Norcon, you have never fitted UHF in your life,not down to installers to teach you. ;)

If installers like plumber 90 are omitting the spreader plates then they don't have a lot to teach me.

Apart from stocking some hay to feed their horses should they arrive at my doorstep. :LOL:

If installers like plumber 90 are omitting the spreader plates then they don't have a lot to teach me.

Best speak to manufacturer`s then. You are talking thru your Aristotle. Why don`t you educate us all in the installation of UHF? We are all ears here.. ;) Don`t bother reseaching manuals, does not work that way on site. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back