Wet, Wet, Wet!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been watching the BBC news about the floods in South Yorkshire and other areas of England.
Have I missed the appeals for donations to help the people whose lives were devastated by the floods? I am waiting for the publicity seeking groups to announce a charity concert in aid of those victims of the floods.
Could it be that the floods occurred in England and not in some far off Asian country, so
no charity aid
no government aid
no pop concert.

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about houses that have got wet, or those that have been swept away leaving people homeless with no drinking water, no food, no shelter, no support from social services, voluntary organisations etc?

You may find it difficult to believe, but there are people in the world who have a harder life than Yorkshiremen.

Sponsored Links
Rain was so bad yesterday I had to change my socks after the school run.

dave.m, after June's terrible flooding, the local radio station, Hallam FM, set up a fund to help those affected by the floods. In the first few hours they collected thousands from those unaffected (or insured against such damage) in South Yorkshire. An excellent example of helping your neighbour. Even on our street, we rallied round to help each other with sandbags, and offer support to the few elderly people on our street.

The recent flood event has not been anywhere near the scale of the floods in June 2007, and I'm not sure if the flood fund is still going - many people are still living in caravans up in Toll Bar - (2 miles from here) repairs still haven't been completed on many homes.

Sure this topic has been pummelled to death, but why should others provide money to cover the uninsured?

Every householder should have buildings insurance, or get help with premia if they are of limited means.

To have no insurance whatsoever is very short-sighted to say the least.

Indeed, buy insurance or learn to swim young man ... Learn to swim :LOL:

Those that most need insurance are those that can least afford it.

Sure this topic has been pummelled to death, but why should others provide money to cover the uninsured?

Every householder should have buildings insurance, or get help with premia if they are of limited means.

To have no insurance whatsoever is very short-sighted to say the least.
It may be short sighted for some, but many others just cannot afford it or it is simply not available due to location..

People who can't afford anything other than the lowest levels of property have to often make do with uninsurable ones!

To just turn your back is to perpetuate the 'f*ck you' society that we seem to have evolved over the last 30 years or so..

And guess what...there will no doubt be a event that you had never envisaged that just may make you see the other side of 'risk'... ;)

When risk is defined as an absolute there will be more and more people who will find they are not covered for one reason or another, regardless of their ability to pay or circumstances - and the only ones left standing will be those who don't need the cover in the first place!

Dave, why would any politician or pop star want to get involved with helping indiginous Brits?
It's not PC, one must be seen to be giving all our our hard earned to other countries first.
It's none of our business where our taxes are spent, you really need to brush up on your politics. :evil: :eek: :)

Those that most need insurance are those that can least afford it.

No, the ones who most need insurance, are the ones with big houses, cars, valuable contents etc.

The ones who can not afford insurance, are the ones with the least to lose, but what they do lose, then becomes irreplaceable.

No trazor, Joe is right.
Those with the big houses etc can replace their stuff if the insurance doesn't cover it so they don't NEED insurance but they CAN afford it.
Those that can't afford to replace anything NEED the insurance but can't afford it.
This is one of the ways the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Funny how those that can`t afford to have insurance can afford big expenive tellevisions ,sky subscriptions of up to £45 a month ,smoke forty a day etc etc. All a case of getting priorities right.

Sponsored Links
Back