Wetroom: Do I lay UFH mat on Marmox preformed shower tray?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, looking for some advice on my impending wetroom project.

Unless any of you can see any major flaws, the floor construction is 18mm WBP glued and screwed to joists+noggins, 6mm Marmox insulation boards 'glued' with rapidset cement for the majority of the floor area and a preformed Marmox wetroom shower tray which is likely to be 20mm but set level with the other flooring.

My main query is whether or not I should lay the heating mat into the shower tray area or not???

I suspect the answer is yes its fine to do so, but wanted confirmation before I start work. It does have some bearing on how I will construct the flooring to get the right levels.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Not sure I'd be happy having electricity underfoot during a shower, to be honest. I'd check on the electrics forum - they'd be more likely to know whether it's safe or even legal!

Hence asking the question... thank you for the reply it is part of my concern too. As there was no obvious choice in where to post I thought I'd try here as I suspect there will be some professional wetroom installers lurking around here somewhere!

The idea of electric UFH in a wetroom application to me is a good one as it accelerates evaporation of standing water reducing the chance of mildew/damp smells and the effects of "transferred" water to other areas of the building (as in wet feet/socks in later visits to the bathroom.)

If its not the done thing, how close can I go to the main "wet" showering area. I'm aware of IP zoning etc, but hard to distinguish the zones in an open wetroom scenario.

Sponsored Links
UFH in the wet dec area will be fine. Remember if it's the extruded foam marmox then minimum of 50mm x 50mm mosaic tiles required to avoid point loading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back