What’s wrong with this DRIVEWAY

Yes the second company said it’s shocking he has been doing driveways for 30 years Diamond driveways He will write a report for me plus I need an extra one for trading standards
It’s not to do with what he charged it’s a shabby job cigarettes but every where some cement has more sand in it rather than more cement. He completed the job today and will post more photos shortly

Attachments

• IMG_5405.png
    IMG_5405.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5404.png
    IMG_5404.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
More photos

Attachments

• IMG_5402.jpeg
    IMG_5402.jpeg
    747.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5401.jpeg
    IMG_5401.jpeg
    686.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5400.jpeg
    IMG_5400.jpeg
    665.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5399.jpeg
    IMG_5399.jpeg
    861 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5396.jpeg
    IMG_5396.jpeg
    805 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5398.jpeg
    IMG_5398.jpeg
    711.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5395.jpeg
    IMG_5395.jpeg
    786 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5393.jpeg
    IMG_5393.jpeg
    858.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5392.jpeg
    IMG_5392.jpeg
    820.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5380.jpeg
    IMG_5380.jpeg
    651.2 KB · Views: 73
Do you have any photos of before? What was the driveway beforehand? Did he compress the sub-base and add a binding layer (sand) before the pavers? Have a read through here to really grasp what should have been done: https://www.pavingexpert.com/bpvseq01 It's hard to say without you filing in the blanks as to how well the driveway will stand up long term. Some photos from further away would help rather than just close-ups.

See how close the lawn is to path in front of front door Where my car is it met with next door neighbours boarder

Attachments

• 51F23A41-3CEF-48E6-A8B5-464BF57B58CC.jpeg
    51F23A41-3CEF-48E6-A8B5-464BF57B58CC.jpeg
    532.9 KB · Views: 66
  • AE00F876-89FB-4F14-B7FA-39FFC5866BC2.jpeg
    AE00F876-89FB-4F14-B7FA-39FFC5866BC2.jpeg
    452.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3899.jpeg
    IMG_3899.jpeg
    708.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3908.jpeg
    IMG_3908.jpeg
    833 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
I’d definitely be concerned with the lack of the soakaway, but you’ve obviously let them continue with the job.

The haunching looks strong enough to hold the drive. I’d suggest you build up the adjacent flowerbed with soil for aesthetic purposes.

Not a terrible job for £5.5k. You gets what you pay for.
Agree.
Looks to me like the original drive was way above the lawn also. Not sure how a soakaway would benefit, if it slopes towards the house and is collected by an original gully..?

Looking at the width of gaps in the sand between the blocks, they might be semi permeable pavers - that would mean a soakaway would not be needed. Do you know what blocks were used?

I am going largely against the grain here, but it does not look like a terrible or a cowboy job.

It certainly has quirks and the haunching is ugly, but it looks strong enough to me and can be hidden with soil. Let it harden for a couple of weeks and then hit it with a hammer to test if you like.

Your old drive was elevated too, but being tarmac you could have greater angles between the road and the house - just look how your neighbour’s drive dips sharply from the road - you can’t achieve those angles with a block drive (without a lot of time/money), it was always going to be a flatter driveway and thus more elevated toward the house.

The competitor will always rubbish other companies work. How much did they quote for the job originally?? I guarantee you’ll never get a written report from them about the other company’s work. Maybe a quote change /rework aspects, but not to put on record anything about the first company.

I presume you were happy to pay cash and save the VAT originally?

You’ve quickly gone nuclear with the contractor reporting them to HMRC and Trading Standards. You’ve now totally burnt your bridges with the contractor, and quite frankly you better hope they are a professional company (who’s owner’s houses do not have wheels) or you may have just caused yourself a world of problems.

That drive is absolutely fine and perfectly functional for the money you’ve paid for it, especially for London prices.

Pay them what you owe them and move on with your life.

No he gave me quote and said it will be cash
I asked him to make same level as my neighbour but did not listen to me

They are standard Marshall pavers

I am now having to pay out extra to have a raised boarder using sleepers and steps

The previous driveway was much lower like some one mentioned on here probably did not take away all the hardcore then type 1 then sand then a grey mix screen then pavers has risen the driveway considerably

Let’s see what happens when it rains hard

CAB gave me advised and they are reporting to trading standards that’s my choice

I think you’re just trying to get out of paying him with spurious complaints over minor issues.

You will get nowhere with trading standards with he said, she said.

I suspect they have just laid the new drive over the old!

The old, appear to be quite well laid concrete, which has been poorly tarmaced over the top. The old being raised higher than the surrounding soil area. The blocks, would seem to have been laid directly on top of the original concrete. Whether or not, that same process has gone all the way to the OP's door, covering the damp course, is unclear.

Breaking up that decent concrete, would have added to the bill, and been a shame, but if the OP wanted and specified the drive less high....

A reasonable job seems to have been made of laying the blocks, but whether it will last - depends on how well the haunching has been done.

The old, appear to be quite well laid concrete, which has been poorly tarmaced over the top. The old being raised higher than the surrounding soil area. The blocks, would seem to have been laid directly on top of the original concrete. Whether or not, that same process has gone all the way to the OP's door, covering the damp course, is unclear.

Breaking up that decent concrete, would have added to the bill, and been a shame, but if the OP wanted and specified the drive less high....

A reasonable job seems to have been made of laying the blocks, but whether it will last - depends on how well the haunching has been done.
The existing drive was broken up and MOT put down (photos on another thread) it also looks ok with DPC level, i agree with Noseall and Kingandy about the slope and workmanship, some of the detail is a bit ropey,but for half the cost of a Marshalls approved installer they have a functioning drive worth what they paid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back