What's a 'ring circuit'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And how do I tell whether a double socket is on one? I've been advised that I can plug the cooker into the same double socket as the washing machine (without needing to install a cooker point) IF they are on a ring circuit. Yes well...that's helpful. Give me a clue what I'm looking for!

Sponsored Links
OK - a ring circuit, or ring main, is where several sockets are connected in a ring as follows: the ring starts at the consumer unit - then goes to socket 1, socket 2, etc and finally goes back to the consumer unit again.

You can usually tell if a socket is on a ring by disconnecting it, separating both live wires (brown or red) and checking if they are both live when the circuit breaker is on. Use a good meter as a phase tester is not reliable. If they are then it's a ring main. If there is only one set of cables it is not a ring. However, only do this if you are very comfortable working with a live supply, and be careful.

Anyway, whoever told you you can plug a cooker into a 13A socket? Any standard cooker will draw much more than this.

If in any doubt about this get professional advice from a registered electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back