What are good quality floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, Since my previous post last night (which no one has read yet) I am realising I should like to make sure any replacement floorboards match the existing ones.

The house was built in about 1930 and the boards are 4 1/2" wide. Some of them were originally the full width of the house - about 16', but most of these have now been cut, sadly and it seems such long boards can't be found any more.

I wondered how I could be sure that any new boards were of the same quality, in case I did sand and seal again? Is it likely they were Portuguese Maritime Pine, and are the boards you would get from your local builder's merchant likely to be of the same quality, please? I realise modern boards aren't available in 4 1/2" widths, so will need to be cut down, but I suppose I could hunt for some reclaimed ones. I also found an on-line seller of Maritime Pine - but their boards aren't quite 4 1/2", being about 2.2 mm narrower, and I think they are expensive, too, hardly surprising, of course.

After 26 years of being a householder, I'm still finding out just how complex houses are! (Unfortunately the mortgage isn't yet paid off...)

Sponsored Links
I should be grateful for any advice or help here, please. The boards are 4 1/2" wide and approx 7/8"/22mm deep, so not standard size.

Have been hunting around on the internet but with no luck so far - I wish I could track down some reclaimed boards circa 1930. The boards are yellow/orange rather than pink and I rather suspect may in fact be maritime pine.

heeelllooo cambride mum

you can easily get 14ft boards but not from the sheds [b&q wicks homebase ect]you need your local timber yard but remember you will have to remove the skirting at one end to get a full length in although 16ft is actualy 4.8m so 15ft9"

if you son spends a lot off time on the floor have you thought about rubber flooring or carpet tiles !!

just thought they may be more fun

just to clarify different colours snakes and ladders chequers draughts chess connect 4 ect :D :D

Sponsored Links
If you contact/go to Ridgeon's in Cambridge, they will tell you what is possible.

There are two depots, not sure if both have full wood-service but the one in N Cambridge ( Nuffield Rd ? ) definitely does .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back