What are these??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what these parts are? I'm the generally nosey type that likes to know how stuff in my house works, and I understand what most of the system is doing, but I have know idea what these are.

Google is not much help as "funny T shaped pipe with a screw top going into hot water tank" gets me nothing of use!!

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0356.jpg

Also, the house was empty from October last year until we bought it a few months ago. When we fired up the boiler it sounded like a fair bit of air in the system. I bleed all the radiators a fair few times and they seem fine, but what the hot water comes on there is still a bit of air type noise at the boiler, and the pump on the airing cupboard sounds like it's got a lot of really small air bubbles going through it..... more like it's pumping sand if that makes sense (probably not). Can the heat water side of things get air in and can it be bleed?? It's due a service shortly so is this something I should get the engineer to look at whilst he's here??

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The T is an Endex N26 one end reduced.

The thing on the top is a manual air vent.

The fancy thing in the 2nd pic is an aerjec, usually fitted to badly installed systems.

Manual air release valve. Air collects in the top vertical pipe, and you unscrew the knurled nut to release it. (with heating OFF, but preferbaly with motorised valve in manual open position)

The other is a Myson Aerjec air seperator.

Wow - that was easy!

Now to Google them and see what they do!!.

EDIT:

OK - so the air seperator I'm guessing is not doing it's job if it sounds like there is air in the there constantly, and the manual air vent..... doesn't appear to do anything. I can take it completely off, no air and no water and that's with and without the heating/hw running.

Some extra work to do for the heating guy I guess!!

Sponsored Links
Check around the air sep with a magnet and see if it attracts to any part of that area.

Check the header tank has water in it, and the valve isn't stuck.

Header tank is full and the float valve is working.

Checked the air seperator and it's kinda sticking with a magnet. I say kinda as it's a super strong neodymium magnet and if I stick it to steel it bites down hard, whereas on the seperator it's very lightly attracted and can hold it's own weight against it - is that bad??

If your magnet is attracted it means there's magnetite, a product of corrosion, in your airjec which is why it's not doing it's job. Your entire system is most likely to be full of the stuff, and it'll be making it less efficient as well as causing you the problems you're experiencing

Nice. Better get the heating guy to give everything a good looking at and seeing what needs doing.

The aerjec if not fitted correctly,(Click on spraggo to go to my profile to see a sketched image of the right connections),hence the reason for the air in your system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back