Sponsored Links
They look like old glass fuses.
I think he knows that much.

screenshot_65.jpg

They look like old glass fuses.
I think he knows that much.
Maybe he does, but his initial question (post title) was "what are these" [sic]

Spot the similarity?

Of course I spotted the similarity - how do you think I found the page? That's why I posted the full page - showing the source image.

As the image linked was added to his image album how do you know he got it from this page? The OP may have the image file but not been aware of this source page.

I also added a second link showing them in use as I thought this may answer the OP's second question:
buck51 said:
Where or what was they used for?

I would rather try to help someone if I can. If I didn't help him then I haven't caused any harm have I?

Sponsored Links
Not seen them in glass before but i think theres porcelain versions still about, sure ive seen them in old lift motor panels, think RF lighting has a pic somewhere

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(electrical)

In North America, fuses were used in buildings wired before 1960. These Edison Base fuses would screw into a fuse socket similar to Edison-base incandescent lamps. Ratings were 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 amperes. To prevent installation of fuses with an excessive current rating, later fuse boxes included rejection features in the fuse-holder socket, commonly known as Rejection Base (Type S fuses) which have smaller diameters and vary, depending on the rating of the fuse. This means that fuses can only be replaced by the preset (Type S) fuse rating. This is a North American, tri-national standard (UL 4248-11; CAN/CSA-C22.2 NO. 4248.11-07 (R2012); and, NMX-J-009/4248/11-ANCE). Existing Edison fuse boards can easily be converted to only accept Rejection Base (Type S) fuses, by screwing-in a tamper-proof adapter. This adapter screws into the existing Edison fuse holder, and has a smaller diameter threaded hole to accept the designated Type S rated fuse.[10]

http://homerepair.about.com/od/electricalrepair/ss/fuse_types_2.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back