What Blocks to use for Garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Great site, been reading through all the posts on foundations etc and it has been very useful in preperation for building my own garage (zero experience!).

I just have a question for you.

Plans have been drawn up and approved. On the plans we state that walls are to be single thermal block, with dense concrete blocks below ground.

Looking on the Thermalite website, I figured on using Trench Blocks for below ground and then Shield above, but was amazed to find that I cannot match up the two products at the same width (From reading this seems due to that fact that most walls have space for cavity, which I wont require). The thermalite site seems to suggest that Shield and Turbo products could be used for below ground, yet I see on other posts (some on another forum) that of these may not being great due to absorbtion of water etc.

So, my question is what width block would people recommend (would 150mm width block be a reasonable enough size) and is there anyone single product that I could use above and below?

Cheers

Thanks in advance.

(Garage is to be 6.5m X 5m, pitched roof 5.5m apex - ok, so its a fairly large garage. Strip foundations on good solid base, 450mm wide & 150mm deep if blocks 150mm wide.)

Sponsored Links
140mm width is more common size, try something like Topblock standards below DPC or simular.
Are you providing any piers at say mid span of the wall for lateral support?

Thanks I'll have a look at those.

Yes, piers mid-way on the long edge.

Sponsored Links
hi josh
i am considering building a garage around the same size as you are (existing prefab reqs roof) :rolleyes: . Did you do the plan/drawings yourself or architect? if architect approx how much do i expect to pay? :?:
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back