What books to buy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I am hoping someone can recommend some plumbing books for me. I am starting out on my own very soon and thought it would be a good idea to have some books in the van in case I come unstuck whilst on a job. Some sort of trouble shooting guide would be great but I'm not so hot at surfing the net and can never seem to find what I'm looking for. Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Reader's Digest Plumbing & Heating Manual

Home Plumbing by Julian Bridgewater is actually very good for the basics

JTL NVQ 2 book also good

Also I suggest printing off the entire FAQ from this forum, plus all the good links to pages, and put them in a folder in the van.

Sponsored Links
Hannahspanner are you a qualified plumber? or if not what quals do you have, it is a lot to take on to go self employed without much experience and relying on books, not trying to have dig just urge you to not take too much on early, i know plenty of experienced plumbers who have struggled on their own, good luck though

Hannahspanner are you a qualified plumber? or if not what quals do you have, it is a lot to take on to go self employed without much experience and relying on books, not trying to have dig just urge you to not take too much on early, i know plenty of experienced plumbers who have struggled on their own, good luck though

Just do what you can do, and be honest about the things you can't. You will get respect from worthwhile people, and the others you can do without anyway. Charge enough, don't do it cheaper than someone else, that's where people struggle. Working cleanly will make you stand out. You'd be amazed what a mess some "tradesmen" think is acceptable, their customers have other ideas, I know, they tell me. They also tell me not to worry about cleaning up when I've finished as they will do it. I don't listen, my mess, my job. People shouldn't be able to tell you've been there except for what they wanted doing is done.

First book I thought of was the Readers Digest book, and I hadn't read the posts at the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back