What cable to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm just about the change the lights in my bathroom from 1 pendant to 4 x 9w LED Downlights. I'm clear how to do everything. My question is due to the size of the terminals in the LED Lights can I use 1mm cable rather than the standard 1.5mm?

Thanks in advance.

Graeme

Graeme

Sponsored Links
Is 1.5 the standard?

What size is the fuse or circuit breaker for the lights?

My question is due to the size of the terminals in the LED Lights can I use 1mm cable rather than the standard 1.5mm?
You may not realise it, but securespark's questions were essentially rhetorical.

Although, for some reason, 1.5mm² cable is commonly used in the UK for lighting circuits, there is virtually never (if ever) a need for it in domestic installations, and 1.0mm² is more than adequate.

Buried in a solid wall, or clipped to a wall, 1mm² cable can safely carry 16A and even in the worst possible situation (cable totally surrounded by thermal insulation) it can still safely carry 8A - so it is always OK for a 'standard'; 6A lighting circuit. It is also, as you imply, easier to get into the tiny terminals of some light fittings etc. than is 1.5mm².

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back