what can used between rafters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
what can I use to put between roof rafters in my loft? There's a lot of dust coming down from them (no felt, jut roof tiles.) If the material can be insulating that woud help, but there's enough insulation on the floor so it's not essential. I have considered polystyrene (like the stuff that comes as packaging, but in large sheets), alububble, plastic sheeting. Are these suitable, or is there something better?

If I leave the wooden rafters exposed, will I not have to bother about the material being breathable?

Sponsored Links
Normally I would agree, but I'll be storing boxes up there and everything will be covered with dust. The insulation on the floor already has dust on it, and it was put there only a few weeks ago! It doesn't have to have any insulating properties, although that would be useful; it just needs to keep the dust at bay. Oh, and be breathable, because everyone says that the rafters need to 'breathe'
Surely this is a problem others have had. I can't be the only one who does not have felt beneath the roof tiles. I've tried searching previous posts, but I can't get the hang of the search.

I'm also having problems boarding over 250mm of insulation over the existing insulation, but I've posted that before. That too was a hard one to solve.

Couple of options,

Breatheable paper, yes it will slowly disintergrate and you will need to replace it every few yrs.
Or
Bin liners round your boxes

Sponsored Links
seneca said:
I'm also having problems boarding over 250mm of insulation over the existing insulation, but I've posted that before. That too was a hard one to solve.
It's not impossible to do, find out where the internal wallplates are then make a small studwork off the wallplate with bigger joists across it. To keep the floor level down, cut out a slot in the insulation for the floor joists.

If you do a photo we can help with the correct advice.

Is it gang nail trusses?

Almost done the flooring. Had to build another floor suspended over the old one, whilst leaving a gap between insulation and board. Bloody hell, had I known it was going to be so difficult, I wouldn't have bothered! With all the extra insulation the height of the loft has been reduced by 1/4. From crawling around on knees, I'm now like a sniper using elbows to get me down the other end.

Anyway, I'm back to my "what to put between the rafters problem." Surely there is a reasonable solution to this? Just soemthing to stop the dust from my feltless roof coming down and covering everything. (My new floor has already a fine layer of dust covering it.

I was thinking of using brown parcel paper, but there must be something better. I think the breathable factor is where I'm having troubles. If I just went between the rafters, leaving the main part of the beam facing inwards exposed, could I then use something like bubblewrap.

I can get 100m of bubble wrap for a tenner, and all it will be covering is the bottom side of the tiles. There is an airbrick on either side of the house and a strong breeze is always coming through. (I was frozen by it when putting the floor down.)

Come on you DIYers out there, let me hear what I can use (not covering my stuff with bin liners please.) Please let all my flooring not be in vain.

I'd be tempted to use that black membrane that landscapers put under gravel and woodchips. It looks breathable, but where air can go, so can dust, I guess. Your only other option might be to pin hardboard across the rafters down to a foot or so above the wall plate, so that air can get under the hardboard. My father did this to his loft 35 years ago and there is no dampness up there to this day. We can get a little too theoretical sometimes.

In my own loft I have carboard boxes, bin liners and cupboards (flat packed then built in the loft)

We can get a little too theoretical sometimes.

The very definition of DIY. I'll tackle the problems of the world once I've got my loft sorted ;)

Your only other option might be to pin hardboard across the rafters down to a foot or so above the wall plate, so that air can get under the hardboard.

Interesting option. I suppose If I get some sheets of the really thin stuff, then that could work.

Just thought, if I left enough ventilation gaps at the top and bottom, then surely I could use any material, breathable or not, as air would get in behind it. Tack another aross th front of the rafters and providing there's a gap at both ends it should be ok. Or should it.........

I've used pegboard sheets on my rafters, can't see any dusts so far

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back