What did i do wrong!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really need some help please.

Fitted a window tonight with a side hung opening (fricton fire hinges). The problem i have is the lock / handle side when closed is perfectly tight to the frame but the hinge side isn't. It doesn't sit flush against the frame so much so you can get your fingers underneath!

The window is plumb straight and level in all directions that i can tell. It came prefitted with the friction fire hinges and i can't see any way of adjusting it tight.

Please help!!

Hinge side

Handle side

Hinges

Sponsored Links
You can't have actually done anything wrong, the only 2 things that keep the hinge side kept to are the 'V' shaped cups on each end of the hinge (in the corners) and closing wedges (optional) fitted halfway up the opening sash.

Check the V shaped point goes in the V shaped cup and not getting stuck on the outside of it, also check for the same with the closing wedges if you have them

You can't have actually done anything wrong, the only 2 things that keep the hinge side kept to are the 'V' shaped cups on each end of the hinge (in the corners) and closing wedges (optional) fitted halfway up the opening sash.

Check the V shaped point goes in the V shaped cup and not getting stuck on the outside of it, also check for the same with the closing wedges if you have them
I've checked and the aren't the V shaped type (compared them against my other windows), and no closing wedges.

Here's the hinge on and off the window:

From what i can tell they're identical to these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/99774...-Egress-Hinges-Side-Hung-300-x-13mm-Pack-of-2

And many thanks for help, need to get the window secure and water tight tomorrow :(.

Sponsored Links
No it doesn't but that's not really a cup as such, just a sort of strike plate (2nd picture on the previous post). The plastic V shape hits this plate this as the hinge is opened but doesn't get near it when closing. I would have expected the plastic V shape to nestle into something when closing and then the closing action pivot against that.

Quick update on this, changed the fire hinges to regular hinges and it closes perfectly now. Will have to find a replacement fire hinge that differs from the current ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back