What do i do with this stupidly coloured house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am a painting noob, no idea what colours to use. And do I have to use paint stripper on the door, the white sided walls of the door, the window sills and the green middle bar thing? I mean do I have to remove the old paint for all 4 sections before painting whatever just about bearable new colour I choose? Thanks.

IMG_20220830_145908.jpg
IMG_20220908_155153.jpg
IMG_20220908_155204.jpg
IMG_20220908_155218.jpg

Sponsored Links
Copy the neighbours. Use whiteish wall with a light tone of the colour you want. Then the "trims" can be bright white.

For the wood, if you don't mind imperfections, painting over the old paint after removing the chips and cracks is least effort and cheapest. Imperfect new paint is still better than crappy old paint. Then you can sort out the imperfections in increments over time at leisure.

The door looks rotten to me, and may need replacing.

You can cut the rotten stuff out, apply a wood hardener solution, and fill with a two part wood filler if you don't feel like changing it.

Im not repainting the orange, just need colours to go with it that aren't terrible. Will keep the white parts white, jsut not sure to keep the door, sills and other middle bit greer, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Here are the colours to go with your orange. A grey door will go with most wall colours. Curious, how long do you have the scaffold for and how much does it cost? Also why is the guard rails missing next to the ladder?

colors.png

One of my favourite jobs is stripping down old doors but that one looks like a real challenge to me, as Sparkwright suggests, you might want to replace the door. They're expensive, though, and your door looks original to the property so i'd make every effort to save it in this case. You can't remove it for the job, unless a replacement is available, so be prepared to put in the time to make it look good as new. A good metal polish will bring out what looks to be a brass doorknob but the wood around the door should be replaced rather than filled.
Personally, i like the colour of the walls but you can get good paint for the window sills from Johnstone. I renewed mine this summer and two coats did a good job. I think your upvc windows could do with a clean, too, and a soft copper wire brush dipped in clean spirit (not turps) can work out those marks with gentle brushing.
Hope the weather holds out for you.(y)

A darker Ochre colour for cills, green bits and frame would be a good match for the wall colour.

Good luck, look forward to the 'after' pics.(y)

I’m not keen on the white surrounding the door and the orange painted render - it gives the house a lopsided look.

or maybe you need to be more bold

5dc1eb9ad8d8464da7359e86

Image number 3

As mentioned, you have significant rot just above the door knob. I agree with the wood hardener but would recommend an epoxy resin filler rather than 2 pack polyester filler. The latter doesn't allow for expansion. Epoxy resins are far more expensive though (about 6 times more so), if the rotten timber is quite deep, it is customary to use the epoxy to splice in new timber to reduce the amount of epoxy required.

One of my favourite jobs is stripping down old doors but that one looks like a real challenge to me, as Sparkwright suggests, you might want to replace the door. They're expensive, though, and your door looks original to the property so i'd make every effort to save it in this case. You can't remove it for the job, unless a replacement is available, so be prepared to put in the time to make it look good as new. A good metal polish will bring out what looks to be a brass doorknob but the wood around the door should be replaced rather than filled.
Personally, i like the colour of the walls but you can get good paint for the window sills from Johnstone. I renewed mine this summer and two coats did a good job. I think your upvc windows could do with a clean, too, and a soft copper wire brush dipped in clean spirit (not turps) can work out those marks with gentle brushing.
Hope the weather holds out for you.(y)
Thanks ill see how it looks after I strip paint off

Image number 3

As mentioned, you have significant rot just above the door knob. I agree with the wood hardener but would recommend an epoxy resin filler rather than 2 pack polyester filler. The latter doesn't allow for expansion. Epoxy resins are far more expensive though (about 6 times more so), if the rotten timber is quite deep, it is customary to use the epoxy to splice in new timber to reduce the amount of epoxy required.
.... sounds like maybe I should give up and buy a new door, Im too inept to splice in new wood. Seriously is someone with nop diy experience (except for painting the render recently) going to be able to make this look good? Im not even going to consider trying to find a tradesman atm. Im getting 300%-400% quotes from everyone in my area. Well maybe I'll be luckier with this , I can at least try.

Maybe I can strip paint off and get a new photo, but then it will rot more quickly in the meantime bah.

Last edited:
Saw another house that had orange and white on the sills and every other part. Looked pretty good tbh. If I replace the door Ill get it done in white.

Maybe I can strip paint off and get a new photo, but then it will rot more quickly in the meantime bah.
Nope. If there is a rot, it will rot around the same speed as before. Rot is caused by fungi. They will slow down if exposed to the elements. The rot will be retarded if you kill the fungi with bleach.

It is not known there is rot. Rot requires persistent water. Both the door and that part of the door are sheltered by the door "arch". It may well be that part of the door received a big whack to get the rot-like look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back