What do I need to break up concrete this thick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's over a foot thick and right up to the house as you can see. I'm getting to old to swing a sledge hammer! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's probably not that thick further in.

I was thinking the same thing Joe. Probably got dressed edges because they are on show.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking the same thing Joe. Probably got dressed edges because they are on show.

No it is sadly. I've drilled pilot holes at intervals. Beats me why the previous owner wanted a base that thick for wood single story lean to :rolleyes:

If you're going to use the second one it has the added benefit of being able to make it's own door wherever required!

Good luck with the slab!

Phone Crime Stoppers
Tell them you are dying of cancer and need to get something off your chest
Tell them that you lived at this address (date before you moved in)
Tell them you murdered your wife and buried her under a concrete slab.

Sit back and watch the slab being broken up. :LOL:

It would be worth getting quotes from small local builders or drainage/civil engineers. They will have the necessary equipment and may take the rubbish away for hardcore.

I'd be tempted to rent a mini digger with a breaker. Should be around £60 for the digger and £30 for the breaker per day. That will let you break it up, shovel the bits somewhere useful and make good the ground. Good ear defenders and friendly neighbours will make life easier, too

eg http://www.anglianplanthire.co.uk/rates/ (never used them, just a googled example

I'd be tempted to rent a mini digger with a breaker. Should be around £60 for the digger and £30 for the breaker per day. That will let you break it up, shovel the bits somewhere useful and make good the ground. Good ear defenders and friendly neighbours will make life easier, too

eg http://www.anglianplanthire.co.uk/rates/ (never used them, just a googled example

Thanks for the serious reply Nick. I didnt know you could get a digger with a breaker. My sons are coming this weekend convinced they can do it with sledge hammers. If they fail and I think they will the digger will be the way to go.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back