What do you know about ski bindings?

I

imamartian

It's a long shot, but i was given, many years ago, a pair of cross country skis. I am now wanting to get a pair od boots that will fit me and the bindings. But if i surf the net, i can find very much info at all about the different types of bindings or any pics that match my skis....

So do any of you guys know anything about skiing?

Sponsored Links
Just a little light humuor, no offence intended.

Good luck with your search. ;)

Sponsored Links
I have been skiing a long time though in recent years my ability has been going downhill ;)

these might be old cable bindings that allow your heel to rise as you "skate" along using the one-way slide of sealskin strips or magic waxes on the sole of the ski.. Post a pic. AFAIK they are not used any more, I doubt they meet the standards required for not breaking your knee, hip or ankle when all your weight goes on a six-foot lever attached to your foot and twists it or bends it the wrong way. Modern ski bindings and fitters go to enormous lengths to prevent injury (and more often than not, they do)

The boots they fit have a groove on the heel to locate the cable. I had a pair many many years ago. They look more like oiled leather padded walking boots more than like modern ski boots.

John, ta for the post - the ski has a flat, notched piece of metal, to recieve the toe and that's about all. But you're right, i'll attach a photo ASAP....

Thanks again.

the toes of my old boots had the sole extended into a square tip, about half an inch thick. IIRC this was wedged under a pivoting gripper. Cables went around the heel to pull the boot towards the toe gripper. You might see remains of cable fixing near or in front of the toe binding. The toe gripper probably adjusts up and down on a screw to fit different boots.

The old ones are not quite the same as Telemark bindings which also allow the heel to lift, and are still used esp. in the USA and scandinavia. Modern ones have safety release systems.

cross country skis used to just fit a normal walking boot, so you could get on and off them when needed.

Sponsored Links
Back