What do you think of Business Postcard, car sign etc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Top one's is post card- front and back the other is car magnet sign and there's a t-shirt.

Is it worth getting two of the car magnetic signs for both car doors and will it not hide the fact my car is a dented old banger (also in photo). Will get a van soon though.
20170204_000307.jpg
20170203_235959.jpg
20170203_235948.jpg
20170203_235811.jpg
car.jpg

Sponsored Links
The business cards are a little bland, but I'd say you're going in the right direction; the backs a bit naff though, and it doesn't look like Visa Print.

Why not try something daft on the back like Bert the handyman, that's my name, fixing things, that's my game; find something catchy to stand you out from the crowd. I personally wouldn't bother with the estimate part, because whilst the estimate can be given out there and then, a lot of jobs will be on an hourly or day rate basis. Plus you've doubled up the phone that's already on the front.

The tee shirts a nice idea, but white certainly isn't, and you'll need several of them, especially in the summer, and having signs on a cars going to look a little odd. You can always tell people the vans in for repairs, but a handyman driving a car with advertising on it, isn't going to come across as professional.

"Flyers" are worth trying, on the lines of " I have just completed a job locally, the customer was more than pleased maybe I could do the same for you please keep for future reference." Listing types of works one can undertake, these can be printed off on a computer
Signs on the car are better than nothing until you get some sort of van ( van being Serviced)Quite a few one man business`s use a car around here sign written
Tee Shirts waste of money until you become " Big Time"
Print off Business cards from computer and keep in car and hand out or put through letter boxes.
Advertising in local Newspapers /freebie circulars works quite well for a start ( Newsagents windows)
Sign outside where you are currently working is worth a thought.

"Flyers" are worth trying, on the lines of " I have just completed a job locally, the customer was more than pleased maybe I could do the same for you please keep for future reference." Listing types of works one can undertake, these can be printed off on a computer
Signs on the car are better than nothing until you get some sort of van ( van being Serviced)Quite a few one man business`s use a car around here sign written
Tee Shirts waste of money until you become " Big Time"
Print off Business cards from computer and keep in car and hand out or put through letter boxes.
Advertising in local Newspapers /freebie circulars works quite well for a start ( Newsagents windows)
Sign outside where you are currently working is worth a thought.

The top photo is the flyer A6 and not a business card. Is it worth printing the majority with just the front side and having the back side blank for the ones I want to put through doors? It would be cheaper from Vistaprint as well if only one side was printed. Can't seem to get the same design on the back as the front lol

What's better through letter boxes - business cards or postcard sized flyers?

The magnetic car signs are only 25cm high. Is it better to wait until I get a van and get the bigger 400cm ones?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Quality is better than cheap in this game. A well designed business card will inspire confidence, whilst a cheaply done one will suggest you aren't really bothered. How people perceive you will get you through the door, so put the money into the business cards rather than the T-shirts etc. Think about newsagents rather than flyers as most flyers just get binned, and I'd still not bother with the signs for the car; wait till you get the van.

A lot of business will come from just talking to people, keeping an eye out for problems, and putting yourself forward to do the work, but not being too pushy over it. Always remember to be polite, turn up on time, clean up before you leave, and remember that it's the way you work that gets you recommended.

Its down to financial resources as to how much one wants to spend on Publicity when starting a one man business.
The first thing that is needed is Public liability insurance

The van I will get in 3 months will be a Peugeot Expert 2005. Shall I get the 60cm x 40cm or the 25cm x 40cm magnetic signs ? The smaller one will go on car rear doors. I guess same on vans. Two I guess one on each door

IMHO magnetic signs look amateur, or even cowboy-ish. They look like you only put them on for a job, then take them off to hide your identity the rest of the time. Personally, I'd get a good looking, eye catching van with proper lettering and decals including my contact details, and shout my trade out to the world every time I drove anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Back