What does "ease and adjust" mean?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been told that the joiner will "ease and adjust" my sash windows because the building dropped and so there's a now a gap.

I asked several times what "ease and adjust" means and all they kept saying was that it meant they would ease and adjust the windows.

I got the idea that it meant moving and raising various bits of wood so that it all fitted perfectly.

Would I be right to think it doesn't mean simply sticking a bit of wood in a the bottom of the frame to fill the gap?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Wiggle it about a bit & change it so it fits properly. :D

IF the sash still slides OK then yes - most likely a bit of wood.

Ok. Thanks.

So they won't be taking off the frame and straightening it out then. They'll just fill in the gaps. That's disappointing as I think the former would look better.

Sponsored Links
I reckon it means cut away the tight bits and hit it with a hammer to make it fit.

Really all it means is do anything to make the windows run easily again and fit the hole they're supposed to fill (even if it's off square).

If the sashes are tight in the frame they'll take them out and plane a whisker or two off the sides. If the tops and bottoms don't fit they'll probably saw a slightly angled wedge off and replace it with slightly thicker piece of parallel timber.

Wilbur111 wrote:
the building dropped and so there's a now a gap.

Out of interest, care to elaborate?

The shop downstairs took out all their load bearing walls without a building warrant or sufficient suppporting props for the job. As a consequence the three floors of flats above took a bit of a dive leaving us all with draughty windows, angled fireplaces and doors that won't shut.

Three years later they're finally doing some work but seem to be doing the very minimal they can get away with.

All the flat owners are a bit annoyed that they've made our windows squint and daft looking while only offering to stick a bit of wood in the gaps to stop the wind coming in.

It just seems a bit off. It's gone from lovely and level to squint and draughty - and all they're offering is squint and draughtless.

Booooo.

is this your own property, or rented?

If I owned a home that had been damaged by someone else, I would be consulting the Citizens Advice Bureau or a lawyer to compel then to pay proper compensation or restore my property to its previous good condition.

I wouldn't tolerate the person causing the damage taking 3 years or doing the least they felt like.

Also, structural work that removed support from my home could cause danger so I would complain to the Building Control Office as it would surely not have met with BCO approval.

Do you have Buildings Insurance? If so, consult your insurance company as well.

Hey,

A good friend of mine owns the flat.

She had insurance but didn't have accidental damage insurance. When offered it, she was led to believe that it was simply for if she knocked her tv off the table or something and she was willing to take the risks with that kind of thing.

But as it turns out, causing damage by taking out supporting walls without a building warrant is also called "an accident" and so she wasn't covered.

Either way, the two flats above were insured and their insurance companies weren't much help. In fact, they insisted that it was totally reasonable for the guys who did the damage to do the repair. So they have done repairs but not to the total satisfaction of the owners.

It's very hard to force them to do anything. Yes, we'd like compensation but they just say "no".

For a long time they were only willing to fix the cracks in the walls, and replaster. It's taken the three years to get them to be willing to fix the windows - and even then, as I said, they're just sticking slips of wood in. (And as we have lovely, olden-days type stripped wood round the windows, that's not very good).

One of the problems is that there was previous subsidence on the buildings - but there's been none for as long as anyone can remember. The woman upstairs having lived there for forty or fifty years.

So the builders keep arguing that all the damage was there in the first place (but they'll fix the cracks cos they're lovely...) and that we're just after betterment.

Unfortunatley, we have few photos of the place from before the work because they just came in, removed walls and started problems before any of us were aware of anything.

So... if you have any advice or ideas of things we may not have tried, you're invited to help or offer advice.

Thanks.

CAB and/or lawyer

they love making creeps like that pay up.

Have you contacted your local Bulding Control/Warrants office?

Yes, the council were called. They halted their work for a little while until they gave them the warrant and let them go on their way - after all, they'd taken away the load-bearing walls by that point, so there wasn't much else they could do.

The thing is that a lawyer would be terribly expensive. And what kind of compensation could you possibly expect?

Wouldn't the cost of the lawyers just supersede any payout you might receive? It sounds like a hell of a gamble to me!

Wow! What a saga. This one might be a candidate for moving to the "DIY Disasters" forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back