What does it mean?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen some consumer units for sale with varying descriptions and was wondering what they all mean.

For example:

Niglon 17th Edition Consumer Dual RCD 6+6 Un-Loaded
Niglon 17th Edition Consumer Dual RCD 5x5+2 Loaded

specifically I was wondering what '6+6', (un)loaded and '5x5+2' parts mean?????

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have seen some consumer units for sale with varying descriptions and was wondering what they all mean.

For example:

Niglon 17th Edition Consumer Dual RCD 6+6 Un-Loaded
Niglon 17th Edition Consumer Dual RCD 5x5+2 Loaded

specifically I was wondering what '6+6', (un)loaded and '5x5+2' parts mean?????

Thanks

Well my interpretation of that would be:

RCD 6+6 Unloaded means 12 useable way board, 6 cicuits on 2 RCD's supplied without mcb's
RCD 5X5+2 Loaded would mean 12 useable way board, 5 circuits on 2 RCD's and 2 circuits on no RCD supplied WITH mcb's.

Once again, this is just my interpretation.m It may be different.

And the niglon part means it is cheap tat, and not fit to prop a door open.

Sponsored Links
It's in the same league as MCG / chint
puke.gif

They should stick to making brass bushes, although having said that, they are rubbish these days too.

I read elsewhere
"Oh and, seeing as you asked, Niglon is a no-name badged piece of Chinese tat that your "wholesaler" makes a massive margin on"

Think B+Q sell it as well.

Not disagreeing with you, but for the benefit of those reading this thread that dont know the difference....

Can you please explain why they are tat?

Whats so bad about them?

Surely the MCB's/RCD's etc have to meet the same specs as others?

Us DIY consumers wont be visiting our CU on a daily basis so knowing why to steer clear of these cheaper ones would be good.

You might buy a cheap one and not get any problems at all, same as you get the occasional problem with reputable brands.

Think of the analogy of a car. You want to maintain it's safety as much as you can - brake pads Ferodo or Aldi ?

They are all made to the relevant standards, however standards only specify the minimum requirements for an item.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back