Which RCD? Which Quote? Advice Please..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ..I've received 2 quotes for modernisation of my possibly death trap fuse box and the supply and installation of a RCD.

1st quote is 'MEM 10-way split board which incorporates and RCD and will cover my electric shower and sockets on the ground floor'

2nd quote is 'supply and fit new 5x5 split 30ma RCD protected consumer unit upgrade meter tails earth & bonding'

Please could someone explain to me whats the difference between the 2 descriptions and what would be best for a bog standard 3 bed house, very puzzled but very grateful!

Sponsored Links
Probably both the same.
10 way split will be 5 x RCD protected ways and 5 x unprotected ways.
5x5 split will be the same.

breezer said:
ah, but 2nd one says about bonding

Very true, chose not to read that bit!

What's the price difference between the two quotes?
A new consumer unit couldn't be fitted unless earthing and equipotential bonding (water, gas, oil) was adequate.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
depends who is doing it

If he's had quotations then I assumed this would be from competent electrician who would want to issue an Electrical Installation Certificate to cover his work (and his arse).

Go with the MEM one! I Like MEM.

Any spark doing a CU upgrade would do the bonding with out question.....I would hope.

not if his name is roy rogers, the op does not know about bonding etc, so he would not know, which is why he is asking

breezer said:
not if his name is roy rogers, the op does not know about bonding etc, so he would not know, which is why he is asking

And I'm just saying that a consumer unit can't be fitted unless earthing and bonding was up to scratch.

But we've all seen replacement CUs which have been fitted without a shread of bonding, haven't we?

Yeah, it isn't a case of "can't" be fitted, it is more a case of "does not comply with a fundamental principle of BS7671".

Thanks for the rapido response.

Quote 1 is £844
Quote 2 is £600 approx (not sure the relocation of the ntl cable is included)

Both include moving and installing a few sockets, supply & fit 4 x downlighters & moving light switches. Followed by tests & certification/inspection.

Which is why a mate from down the pub shouldn't be fitting consumer units.
It's a job for a competent electrician who should be familiar with current wiring regulations and who will issue certification for work carried out.

But then again how many people break the speed limit? Again they do but they shouldn't :rolleyes:

RF Lighting said:
But we've all seen replacement CUs which have been fitted without a shread of bonding, haven't we?

Could have been fitted as an emergency replacement where the (old) original CU caught fire through loose connection, but bonding was not done/upgraded due to customer unable to pay extra????

TidySpider said:
Thanks for the rapido response.

Quote 1 is £844
Quote 2 is £600 approx (not sure the relocation of the ntl cable is included)

Both include moving and installing a few sockets, supply & fit 4 x downlighters & moving light switches. Followed by tests & certification/inspection.

Both are cheap if the work is to a good standard and all certification legitimate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back